Sentinel Replacement Suggestions?

We're temporarily switching to Revolution. When Sentinel comes back into production, we'll go back to it! Like others have said, I am a little too concerned with Trifexis even though we did use it a few times with no visible or obvious side effects :cool:.

Let us know how that goes! :fl
 
Tick Collars Worked Great for Us

Ideally I would like something that covers Ticks as we will be at a cottage (our first with any dog) planned for AUGUST. It's only for a week but still. Melissa (OntarioSheltie) suggested tick collars but when I mentioned it to my vet they said they pretty much don't work and I should use Revolution in that case, rather than adding pesticides?

Wow! I'm really shocked that your vet said that about tick collars. When ticks were bad they were great. I know they worked because we were finding half dead ticks with paralyzed limbs all over the house. Really gross but WAY better than finding them attacked to anyone. I never found one attached.

Regarding your trip in August. Ticks tend to be bad when its damp so tick treatment probably isn't necessary in August. In Ontario ticks are at their worst in the spring and fall. Even in northern ontario you should be fine without tick treatment. Last summer when we went up north ticks were not a problem and I didn't treat my three.
 
Regarding Trifexis

We started using Trifexis this year too and I've been really happy with it. No adverse reactions and no problems with fleas since using it. Plus its really convenient that it treats heartworm too.

My vet too recommended giving it to them with food.

My vet is against the use of the majority of the topicals, theres only a select few that she recommends. Trifexis being one of them. She feels that the chemicals in many topicals are just too toxic.

I did do some research online about Trifexis. The fact of the matter is, there are horror stories and the potential for an adverse reaction with every drug. You just have to look at your dog/situation and weigh out your options.

What I found in my reading was that the 'reactions' that people documented were exactly what the drug warns about in its facts sheet and almost never resulted in deaths. Deaths only seemed to occur in dogs that were not well in the first place and the drug company did not experience any deaths in their testing, unlike with some other topicals.

I also noticed that people were still giving their dogs the drug after they'd experienced an adverse reaction, which is just not using common sense.
 
We've been using Revolution, its a combination drug that works on fleas as well as heart worm. Beau has had no adverse reaction.. (Look for wood to knock on) no fleas this summer:hide
 
Wow! I'm really shocked that your vet said that about tick collars. When ticks were bad they were great. I know they worked because we were finding half dead ticks with paralyzed limbs all over the house. Really gross but WAY better than finding them attacked to anyone. I never found one attached.

Regarding your trip in August. Ticks tend to be bad when its damp so tick treatment probably isn't necessary in August. In Ontario ticks are at their worst in the spring and fall. Even in northern ontario you should be fine without tick treatment. Last summer when we went up north ticks were not a problem and I didn't treat my three.

I've had constant problems and dissatisfaction with my vet since I had Pudding. It's too long of a story, maybe I'll save it for when we have another in-person get together. Thanks for letting me know about the Tick population in August. I'll be taking my own concoction of Neem oil just as extra precaution, no clue if it'll work since I've just never had any problems with mosquitos or ticks on Precious to make a comparison, but will be doing regular checks on her and ourselves just to make sure since it'll be our first time at the cottage location. Thanks for the response.
 
I've had constant problems and dissatisfaction with my vet since I had Pudding. It's too long of a story, maybe I'll save it for when we have another in-person get together. Thanks for letting me know about the Tick population in August. I'll be taking my own concoction of Neem oil just as extra precaution, no clue if it'll work since I've just never had any problems with mosquitos or ticks on Precious to make a comparison, but will be doing regular checks on her and ourselves just to make sure since it'll be our first time at the cottage location. Thanks for the response.

I've been using Neem Oil on the Japanese Beetles that have been ravishing my plants this year, its helped somewhat. My guess is it should be great for bugs up north. I doubt you'll have any tick issues. :smile2:
 
=our Vet stated that the Trifexis was the generic form of Sentinel. =

This was posted on a now closed thread, but I did wish to respond to avoid confusion.
Sentinel is 'Program' plus 'Interceptor'. Trifexis is 'Comfortis' plus 'Interceptor'. Both are 'flea pills' but beyond that they aren't all that similar.
Program (lufrenon) is a 20 year old insect growth regulator.
Comfortis (spinosad) is a relatively new 'biological' parasiticide. - Dr. Mac
 
Oh Dr. Mac I'm SO glad you posted this. I have one boy that is allergic to Comfortis and now I know not to give him Trifexis! Whew! Thank you!!!

Jo
 
Back
Top