Shaving?

Deska had his mane and behind the ears shaved. I found these parts grew back more matted - I think because the undercoat and outer coat were both growing at the same length and getting entagled.

Really?! :eek2: You could never tell from the pictures! You have Deska looking good. :biggrin2:
 
The undercoat is a Sheltie's "thermostat," the way Shelties adjust to heat and cold. Shaving is advised ONLY in cases of severe matting to the skin. For your Sheltie's health, brush out the coat, slitting any mats lengthwise with scissors and pulling them apart until they're loose. If there are tangles in very sensitive spots, like on the inside of the back legs, you might just snip those off rather than yank and pull. Wash her, first wetting the coat THOROUGHLY (really takes time to get to the skin). Use a good dog shampoo, lather twice and rinse thoroughly. Follow with a dog conditioner. Blow dry, fluffing with a brush as you go. Do a thorough brushing the next day, as bathing usually loosens a lot of hair.

If you put baby powder behind her ears every few days, that will reduce the fine-fur "collie balls."
 
Sorry to revive this thread but,great information in these replies.
I have a lot of reading to do:wink2:

This is what I love about this forum. There's tons of information and lots to read up on and do..

Speaking of do..

did you vote yet? Just scroll to te bottom and go to the help forum and vote yes
 
Exactly! Yes is the answer.

And I hope you all are doing OK this evening, blackguppy.

Thanks for asking.We are doing as well as possible.Weird not having her around.
The whole family is kinda walking around aimlessly tonight.I can see we will have to get another pup very soon.
 
Shaving Shelties

Hi,couple of questions to ask
-Who owns the dog? you or your stepmum? If its your stepmum I guess she can groom the dog as she see's fit.
-I have owned three Shelties & never had to shave any of them.I or my wife groomed the dog's daily & had very few matting problems.
-If you live in a very warm climate I quess you could make an arqument in favour of shaving,however as others have pointed out Shelties have a inner & outer coat which acts as a form of insulation against extremes of temperature.Hope things work out in your favour.Blue Skies-Cody,Wendy & Cole
 
Back
Top