Sheltie clubs

Wow that's amazing that Phebe was 1200 miles away, geeze! BUT, thank God you did it that way and not settle for a BYB or puppymill. I guess like you said, there are many factors involved when choosing a breeder :wink2:

My dogs were over 1000 miles away as well. Try that car ride...straight through.... with an 8 week old puppy and three kids :eek2:
 
I think the heart/head thing is where most people make mistakes in choosing a breeder and/or a pup. Good judgement can be clouded by puppy eyes, urgency (I want a puppy NOW), impatience (they ask too many questions) -- really any number of human factors.

In my case, there isn't a breed club within 300 miles of ABQ. I did contact the ASSA breeder referral person in a neighboring state and they referred me to a NM breeder who never responded to me, even though I made 3 attempts to contact them. Then I began contacting ASSA member breeders in other states on my own.

I found three good prospects, and one of them happened to be in my hometown (1200 miles away). I was able to send my brother, who knows dogs and is a good judge of character, to meet the breeder and see Phebe

The ASSA breeder referral system works!

Good input for the Puppy Buying Tips...thanks!
 
Sheltie Clubs can give you the breeders, ASSA will tell you who is on the top of their list. There isn't any guarantees anywhere, its just SHELTIE LUCK.

I think about what the breeders have to think about and it hurts my head.
That is why I am not a breeder, just a SHELTIE PET BUYER. :lol:
 
I had contacted one person about a puppy and it was not what I wanted and that breeder referred me to my breeder who was also the contact person for the ASSA for this part of the state and she intern told me she had a litter herself coming due.
We really liked her in her emails and really liked her once we meet her in person.
 
I found my breeder through our local Sheltie club. Our local group is also a member group of the ASSA. Using these organizations really is a great way to find a reputable breeder.
 
Back
Top