I don't give any of this stuff to my animals so I am not sure how it works... no one I know gives it either so definitely not well-versed but since you said it wouldn't harm the dogs with mutant genes, it doesn't seem to be the dog's breed that is the problem when there's a reaction to THIS (HEARTGUARD)medicine.
But it's my understanding, and you stated this too, no matter what THIS breed(or any other breed that can be affected byt he mutan gene) has in terms of mutations, they're fine on heartguard and issues wouldn't be related to breeds who can carry the mutant gene...
Because of that mutation leading to issue with medicines, I think people are thinking it's a breed-specific issues, but in reality, these heartworm doses aren't harmful to the dogs who carry the mutated genes anymore so than a dog without the mutated genes. Therefor, the sensitivity shock of heartworm medicine prescribed by vets isn't a real threat for these breeds. HEARTWORM tablets sn't a breed-specific issue. Sure the individual toxins, just straight, would cause more issues for mutated dogs, but we're discussing heartworm medicine dogs get from their vets in tablet form.
I've seen dogs of all varieties react to heartworm/flea and other medicines and I've seen dogs of all varieties be just fine. Each time you put the pill down your dogs throat you're taking a chance, regardless of breed, that ill effects may happen. It has nothing to do with having a Sheltie or a Border Collie when we're dealing with the tablets prescribed by the vet. Just to clear that up by what I meeant when I said breed-specific problems aren't an issue with the heart worm medicines prescribed by the vets