Sheltie run amuck

I have two suggestions for you. First, get Linda Mecklenburg's Developing Jumping Skills. There are foundation jumping exercises in there that I think would help. One is having you walk along with your dog at your side, going past jumps, and as you walk past the jumps, your dog is to take them (at first in a controlled manner). You aren't saying jump, aren't cueing with arms, just walking past them. You are teaching that if you go past a jump with forward motion, the dog is to take it.
Second, I would recommend teaching her distance work. Get the Go The Distance book. It has fabulous distance exercises. This is how you will be able to run her without being physically fast. A distance dog can go out and work on their own, and still retain all of their speed, without being held back by their handler.
 
Running Amuck

I second what Stacey says.Sting was a nut case last night and I finally figured out why he was being a dope. I usually let him play on Thurs. nights with his pals and hour before class and he did not get that so instead he was not focused, By his 3rd run he was much better and focused. He is a Novice dog running Exceelent courses.If you have a fast dog (I have been blessed with 2 speed demons) do not "SLOW" him down. The result will be a dog walking or trotting the course.:biggrin2:
 
This was my epiphany during our lesson yesterday. When Phebe gets ahead of me and then runs around a jump, it's usually because I was trying to keep up with her when I should have given her a deceleration cue one or more obstacles back. Learning when and how to decelerate and accelerate is a bit counter-intuitive, i.e., I have to slow down or pause so that the dog can keep its speed. If I'm trying to keep up with her, I'm sending an acceleration cue instead of a deceleration cue.
That is it exactly!:yes: At first it feels wrong, but it does help, also being quicker on saying directions and obstacle names.
 
... One is having you walk along with your dog at your side, going past jumps, and as you walk past the jumps, your dog is to take them (at first in a controlled manner). You aren't saying jump, aren't cueing with arms, just walking past them. You are teaching that if you go past a jump with forward motion, the dog is to take it.
... A distance dog can go out and work on their own, and still retain all of their speed, without being held back by their handler.
Yes and YES!
 
I second what Stacey says.Sting was a nut case last night and I finally figured out why he was being a dope. I usually let him play on Thurs. nights with his pals and hour before class and he did not get that so instead he was not focused, By his 3rd run he was much better and focused. He is a Novice dog running Exceelent courses.If you have a fast dog (I have been blessed with 2 speed demons) do not "SLOW" him down. The result will be a dog walking or trotting the course.:biggrin2:

Thanks for the advise. No I already have proven that I can teach a dog to run slow with Justice. I would rather not do that again.:smile2: With Ember it is a lot of confidence issues with contacts and weaves. She hates to be wrong too and even though I never corrected her. My body language was enough even if it was directed at myself.
 
Back
Top