Shelties doing Disc Dog workshop, great new sport

My parents do it* with their two border collies, so I know some stuff just from doing stuff with them and their frisbee club. I'm not seriously training Missy right now, more of just playing. Recently she's really been trying to catch the soft fabric frisbee instead of letting it hit the ground and bringing it back. If I can get her to catch a competition frisbee, we might do it on the side. We're also doing flyball right now so I don't want to get too crazy!

I mentioned in the other thread, I'm going to have to buy some pup discs because the standard size is just a bit too big for her. I tried a standard one over thanksgiving while we were at my parents, but she didn't want to catch it. My dad is the one who will really be able to help me train her! He took our first bc to the ESPN Great Outdoor Games in 2005...

*They've been a bit inactive recently because of other life events getting in the way, so it's been a while since they've actually competed.
 
I mentioned in the other thread, I'm going to have to buy some pup discs because the standard size is just a bit too big for her. I tried a standard one over thanksgiving while we were at my parents, but she didn't want to catch it.

I sort of gave up on disc dog with my girl because every frisbee seemed too big. She was okay with the puppy ones, but still didn't seem to like the plastic. So, I went back to the soft frisbee and she is way happier. I didn't want to force the issue :)
 
I sort of gave up on disc dog with my girl because every frisbee seemed too big. She was okay with the puppy ones, but still didn't seem to like the plastic. So, I went back to the soft frisbee and she is way happier. I didn't want to force the issue :)

Cran likes the soft fabric ones too- did not really like the hard plastic but maybe the softer ones would be ok......
 
My parents do it* with their two border collies, so I know some stuff just from doing stuff with them and their frisbee club. I'm not seriously training Missy right now, more of just playing. Recently she's really been trying to catch the soft fabric frisbee instead of letting it hit the ground and bringing it back. If I can get her to catch a competition frisbee, we might do it on the side. We're also doing flyball right now so I don't want to get too crazy!

I mentioned in the other thread, I'm going to have to buy some pup discs because the standard size is just a bit too big for her. I tried a standard one over thanksgiving while we were at my parents, but she didn't want to catch it. My dad is the one who will really be able to help me train her! He took our first bc to the ESPN Great Outdoor Games in 2005...

*They've been a bit inactive recently because of other life events getting in the way, so it's been a while since they've actually competed.

OHHHH right, I am sorry, I remember that you told us that before in the other thread! SO exciting, your Dad will be a great resource! (hopefully you can share some of his wisdom here, too hehehehe)

As for the plastic Frisbee, Ashley-- I seriously had the same problem, but the real Hyperflite discs are a class in itself, the frost one is the softest.
As to size you can work yourself up to a regular size from a puppy disc, BUT if your dog is under 16 inches s/he competes in mini anyhow, therefore only would have to to use the puppy size disc.
My biggest surprise how drivey Toffee has become for the disc in just two months, in the summer I was using a dog toy one that was latex and not plastic, small size.
I then switch to competition size soft one (not allowed for competition) and now have no prob him loving the regular size and material disc. I truly didn't think he'd take to it, either, thought uhoh this is no ball... but I just didn't give up, kept it to SUPER short sessions, two minutes if he was hyped up and he got a small treat in the Frisbee if he brought it to my hand but pretty soon he didn't want his play interrupted with treats!! He said throw it already., don't fiddle with treats...
 
As for the plastic Frisbee, Ashley-- I seriously had the same problem, but the real Hyperflite discs are a class in itself, the frost one is the softest.
As to size you can work yourself up to a regular size from a puppy disc, BUT if your dog is under 16 inches s/he competes in mini anyhow, therefore only would have to to use the puppy size disc.
Thanks for the tip!

Have you (or anyone) used the SofFlite? It says it's for dogs with softer mouths.

http://hyperflite.com/sofflitepupdiscs.html

Sounds like a good Christmas present!
 
Thanks for the tip!

Have you (or anyone) used the SofFlite? It says it's for dogs with softer mouths.

http://hyperflite.com/sofflitepupdiscs.html

Sounds like a good Christmas present!

lol
and YES that is the first one I tried with Toffee, after I moved up from his nylon dogtoy! That's what got him started for real, he then had a super easy transition to a regulation one!! And now I am using standard hyperflite disc and just ordered the Frost one, that is the softest for competition :D
 
Last edited:
Cold weather isn't a major issue for me, but I like that the frostbite is really soft. I wish they sold them at regular pet stores so I can see/feel them before purchasing. I wanna feel the weight compared to the standard ones!
 
Cold weather isn't a major issue for me, but I like that the frostbite is really soft. I wish they sold them at regular pet stores so I can see/feel them before purchasing. I wanna feel the weight compared to the standard ones!

Good point, I didn't feel any difference in the weight between the Frost and the standard Hyperflite disc. I am just buying it because it's the softest competition one on their mouth, lol. It's a more flexible, I thought that's all. I got to try it out at the workshop.
 
Wow, sounds like a fantastic sport! I bet if you reward Mr T with throw frisbee during his agility practice he will be flying:smile2:
Seems like a great way to build speed and endurance even if no plans for competition. Going to get pups a present for holidays.
Thanks for sharing!
 
Back
Top