Shots for your Shelties

I don't see anyone against vaccinating all together for healthy dogs.

I think the issue that we are discussing is with over-vaccinating. This means taking your dog in and getting the booster shots every year, when your dog may not need them.

Most of us want to do what is the best for our dogs. We all research and do what we feel is the best.

In regards to my dogs, I do all the core vaccinations. I follow the rabies protocol so that my dogs are legally licensed in my Township.

In regards to the booster shots, after 2 year of age I get my dog's titers pulled annually. Then, I vaccinate according to what my dogs need. I also ONLY vaccinate for what my dog needs, so I do not do the multi-vaccine shots. I do single vaccine shots. My vet orders these separately for me, as they are not what the majority of the people want.

Getting titers pulled is considerably more expensive than getting the annual boosters. This is just something I do. I am sure that everyone has their own opinion on why they do things.

This is what is great about a forum for the same breed of dog, all of the world. We can share our experiences and our reasons for doing what we do. Then we can choose to do what fits best for our lifestyle/pet.

It is important to never make personal attacks on someone for not believing the same thing as you do. I do not think that someone who vaccinates their dogs yearly as bad owners. I find that they are good owners, as they are getting their dog vet care. It is just not something I choose to do.

I hope that this clears things up a bit.

Thanks to everyone for voicing their own opinions, and please remember to not criticize someone because they do something differently than what you choose to do.

Dani
 
Went to the vet today, he took max off all his supplemnts until we figure out what he is allergic too. He is def allergic to something, his ears were pink and his skin was pink with red! He gave me hypo allergetic food and receipes ro cook for him. Not alot of choices. He also gave me a letter because he doesn't want Max to have a booster shot in his condition, so i was happy about that. I have to check back with him in a week to see if there is any improvement. He said it would take awhile but i should see something if were on the right tract. I hope so this little guy needs relief. I do have ro go to the health store to get this quercetin.
 
Went to the vet today, he took max off all his supplemnts until we figure out what he is allergic too. He is def allergic to something, his ears were pink and his skin was pink with red! He gave me hypo allergetic food and receipes ro cook for him. Not alot of choices. He also gave me a letter because he doesn't want Max to have a booster shot in his condition, so i was happy about that. I have to check back with him in a week to see if there is any improvement. He said it would take awhile but i should see something if were on the right tract. I hope so this little guy needs relief. I do have ro go to the health store to get this quercetin.

Sounds like you have a good vet there.

Thanks for the update.
 
It sounds like we have all had experiences with good vets and bad vets. I just recently switched vets as the one I had been going to is pretty much retired and I have had issues with the vet who is in practice with him now over how she handled Emma. The new vet, as soon as he walked in, stated Shelties were one of his favourite dogs - big plus. He also spent a lot of time talking about the lepto vaccine, which he recommended against unless I was planning on walking out in the wilderness at lot, which I am not planning on doing. He gave the boosters she needed and she had no problems whatsoever with them. Once thing I noticed - he picked Emma up and she cuddled right down in his arms. If she had not been comfortable, she would not have done so. I also found out from his website he does stem cell treatment for pain for dogs.

Everyone here has had their own experience with vaccines and makes their own decisions based on what they believe is best for them and their dog. We make informed choices based on our research, discussions with other Sheltie owners, and with our vets. No one wants to see any animal or person suffer more than necessary. For myself, I will continue with the new vet and with the recommendations he makes for the shots.
 
It sounds like we have all had experiences with good vets and bad vets. I just recently switched vets as the one I had been going to is pretty much retired and I have had issues with the vet who is in practice with him now over how she handled Emma. The new vet, as soon as he walked in, stated Shelties were one of his favourite dogs - big plus. He also spent a lot of time talking about the lepto vaccine, which he recommended against unless I was planning on walking out in the wilderness at lot, which I am not planning on doing. He gave the boosters she needed and she had no problems whatsoever with them. Once thing I noticed - he picked Emma up and she cuddled right down in his arms. If she had not been comfortable, she would not have done so. I also found out from his website he does stem cell treatment for pain for dogs.

Everyone here has had their own experience with vaccines and makes their own decisions based on what they believe is best for them and their dog. We make informed choices based on our research, discussions with other Sheltie owners, and with our vets. No one wants to see any animal or person suffer more than necessary. For myself, I will continue with the new vet and with the recommendations he makes for the shots.


Too bad I don't live near you, your Vet sounds wonderful :yes: I also could not agree with you more about our Shelties and doing what we think is best for them.. :wink2:
 
Do your research, its not easy to change vets but i did after twelve years because my Max was not getting better i finallh switched after learning about several vets. in two months Max is so much better. Don't be afraid to interview your vet before making an appointment, if he is a good vet he will understand!
This is a. Great forum to learn but i also read books the nature of animal healing, the definative holistic medicine is what i'm reading and he makes several reference to the wonderfull jean dodd. You have your sheltie all the time so you know id he is good or not. Bottom line is you have to feel comfortable about what your doing!

 
Do your research, its not easy to change vets but i did after twelve years because my Max was not getting better i finallh switched after learning about several vets. in two months Max is so much better. Don't be afraid to interview your vet before making an appointment, if he is a good vet he will understand!
This is a. Great forum to learn but i also read books the nature of animal healing, the definative holistic medicine is what i'm reading and he makes several reference to the wonderfull jean dodd. You have your sheltie all the time so you know id he is good or not. Bottom line is you have to feel comfortable about what your doing!


I would love to know the vet that you are seeing. Can you pm me the name?
 
Back
Top