Six is fixated on me...

I had this problem with Justice. Dumb obedience dog. What my handling instructor did was put a chair at the corner of our ring put a treat on the chair and teach him to look at the chair. We started on the down and back. I would say "Look" and point to the chair then look at the chair and move him to it. When I got to the chair I gave him the treat off the chair. Pretty soon all I needed to do was say look and his head when down and he looked straight ahead. I then started moving him around the ring. It actually transfered later on to Utility training with marking the glove and the go out spot. Handy. :smile2: Justice got his Canadian OTCH and Canadian Ch on the same weekend. :biggrin2:
 
Very interesting--the same is true in agility. You reward your dog by looking, so they look more!

Of course, not looking is harder said than done. :smile2:

Funny you say that because I'm having a little issue with Duncan's weaves. If I am on his right, he blazes through them. I am even working on sending him through without me doing any sort of dance to aid him. I am currently stopping halfway through a set of 6 poles with 100% accuracy and slowly creeping back to stop sooner.

But if I am on the left? Duncan starts beautifully and then swings his head to look at me like, "Hey, mom, what the heck are you doing over there?" followed by either a pop-out or him bumping a pole. I'm going back to super basics with the channel weaves and opening them WAY up to get a good run without him looking to build his confidence. The more confident he is, the better he does.

I like the idea of not looking at Six for you. I hope it works. Otherwise maybe treat for looking away? Conformation is sooo intensely confusing to me.
 
Back
Top