Smudge's food.

If I'm transitioning foods, I drag it out 3-4 weeks if I can.

Jessica, I know you are on a very tight budget. But to get a bag of rice, and raw chicken, won't cost you more than $10 to continue prolong the transition for another week or so.
 
I get paid on Thursday. I think. This week is kind of odd because of Thanksgiving. So I'm not exactly sure what day I get paid this week. :eek2: Seeing as how I owe my mom $20 and I don't know what I'm eating for lunch this week I really don't think I can splurge the ten bucks for a few more days.

As of this afternoon and tonight he doesn't have diarrhea, but his stools are very soft. So I'm going to wait it out and see if it fixes itself. Right now it's the same consistency as when he was on Wellness.

It does make me wonder about grain free foods though. All of the "good" treats make his stomach do crazy things as well. The thing that really makes me think is his eye. There was a patch that never healed under his eye. After about two weeks with the chicken and rice (rice is a grain) his fur started to grow back around his eye. Here are some pictures.

Before grain:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/hobitfancier/before-1.jpg

After grain:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/hobitfancier/after2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/hobitfancier/after1.jpg


I noticed his eye looking better a few days before I gave him the TOTW. His eye still has a patch with no fur under it, but it's half the size that it was. The thought of the mange coming back has always been in the back of my mind. If grains are bad then why did his fur grow back suddenly? It doesn't make sense to me.
 
Great looking pictures, Smudge is a handsome fellow.

Maybe his overall health just continued to improve, not sure but be careful you don't over analyze in your quest to be the best possible to Smudge. I like you idea on giving the food time. If things are improving another week might be the key, then you have a locally available brand that is good for him. With the improvement it would seem that at the least you are not causing harm (though I am FAR from an expert)
 
His eye improved so much!

I don't think grains have anything to do with healing. I think the problem with grains is it's hard for some dogs to digest since it's not a natural part of their diet. It can also cause allergies.

I agree with you. Keep him on TOTW for a little longer and see how it goes. You didn't transition him at all, so it might take a while before his stool goes back to normal. I would put some rice or some canned pumpkin in his food. This might help in the mean time. Good luck!
 
I totally agree.I think the best you can do for Smudge in the long run,is to leave him on TOTW,but transition slowly. Done properly,his system will adjust to the change,and he'll be happier for it,as well as you.

I know you are on a tight budget,and I certainly can sympathize (Brian has not had a full check now going on a month,because of short time) But for the price of a bag of something,you will have your base food,to add small increments of TOTW,and work from there. After maybe a day on some chicken & rice,to settle his system.

As far as treats,I would not be giving him to many,(actually none,would be the prefered) it can only make more problems,as his digeative tract & bowel are already irritated.

It is a good food,its available in stores,(Tractor Supply) and probaby many more that you may not be aware of. You can find out where,just by going to the site,and looking where by state etc.

I do not think that the formula of TOTW,was the reason his eye looks better,but I'm sure it is because of the vibrant pets,has certainly helped,plus the flareup is healing. Because you have taken measures to help him get thru this,cause you are such a great mom.
 
If grains are bad then why did his fur grow back suddenly? It doesn't make sense to me.

Hair on dogs never grows back suddenly. It takes awhile for the hair to grow back after skin issues. It probably was starting to come back slowly, and you just noticed that it was in.

His eye looks great, BTW!
 
I get paid on Thursday. I think. This week is kind of odd because of Thanksgiving. So I'm not exactly sure what day I get paid this week. :eek2: Seeing as how I owe my mom $20 and I don't know what I'm eating for lunch this week I really don't think I can splurge the ten bucks for a few more days.

As of this afternoon and tonight he doesn't have diarrhea, but his stools are very soft. So I'm going to wait it out and see if it fixes itself. Right now it's the same consistency as when he was on Wellness.


How long has Smudge been on the TOTW now?

If his stools are starting to firm up, I would NOT change his diet again. Leave it alone, so that his system has a chance to catch up with the food, and learn to properly digest it.

In regards to the Mange and Smudge's eye. Mange comes out when an animal is stressed. It doesn't always have to be emotional stress, but it could be physical stress as well. Abruptly changing a diet, several times, adds stress to a dogs system, and can then in turn cause the mange to come out. If Smudge's mange comes back, please don't suddenly switch his food again. Mange is not an allergy so his eye probably is not from the food. Try and give the guy some consistency with his diet.
 
How long has Smudge been on the TOTW now?

If his stools are starting to firm up, I would NOT change his diet again. Leave it alone, so that his system has a chance to catch up with the food, and learn to properly digest it.

In regards to the Mange and Smudge's eye. Mange comes out when an animal is stressed. It doesn't always have to be emotional stress, but it could be physical stress as well. Abruptly changing a diet, several times, adds stress to a dogs system, and can then in turn cause the mange to come out. If Smudge's mange comes back, please don't suddenly switch his food again. Mange is not an allergy so his eye probably is not from the food. Try and give the guy some consistency with his diet.

Totally agree~
 
Back
Top