so when do you think you ready...

Ideally, they'd have been going to dog shows with me for a long time already, and will have done multiple fun matches/show n gos at different facilities and show no issues doing those.

Wow your standards are high!! lol. But I like that! It does make things a LOT easier in the long run.

I wanted to add though, for trial atmosphere, sho n gos are great if you have them in your area, I'd highly suggest that versus actually trialling. It's typically cheaper, you can use food if necessary, very laid back, etc. If you don't, then trialling is the only way to work on desensitizing them.

I did a sho n go, but considering the distance, time, and cost....it was about the same as trialing, so I started....and got hooked.
 
I guess the reason I do things the way I do is that I'm far from well off, and don't want to throw money away on trialing when a dog really isn't ready. It's better to spend money on trialing when I know my dog is going to be successful. Plus, it's really nice to know I am setting my dog up for success by waiting until they are capable of handling anything out there, instead of knowingly setting them up to fail. I'm somebody who never wants to start a dog off with it thinking it can leave the ring, or that the trial setting is something to be really stressed over.
I also have my two excellent B girls, so there's no rush to get the greenies out there. With them trialing, it's also really easy to take the greenies and expose them to trial atmosphere from the get go. Once they're reliable off lead, and know how to jump, they do the practice jump at each show to at least be doing some form of agility work at a trial.
 
I guess the reason I do things the way I do is that I'm far from well off, and don't want to throw money away on trialing when a dog really isn't ready. It's better to spend money on trialing when I know my dog is going to be successful. Plus, it's really nice to know I am setting my dog up for success by waiting until they are capable of handling anything out there, instead of knowingly setting them up to fail. I'm somebody who never wants to start a dog off with it thinking it can leave the ring, or that the trial setting is something to be really stressed over.
I also have my two excellent B girls, so there's no rush to get the greenies out there. With them trialing, it's also really easy to take the greenies and expose them to trial atmosphere from the get go. Once they're reliable off lead, and know how to jump, they do the practice jump at each show to at least be doing some form of agility work at a trial.

I hope my next dog is more like this. :)
 
really ready? never
lol

I am entering Toffee to a few fun matches at first, but this Sunday (if I can) I am exposing him again to the Arena where most of the local trials are taking place... it's .. you guessed it.. a large horsebarn (at the horse racing track) lol

So you can imagine the smells and banners and stuff flattering on the high beal roofs and all kinds of things that need to be gawked at and barked at.. lol Doing that without entering him haahahah.. Just going to watch my friends runs :)

Will try to take a video or two ;)
 
Excellent question.

I started trialing Bentley before he could weave. We just didn't enter standard. Of course, we also started agility a lot later with him (he was almost 2).

I would say that I would start trialing when I felt that my dog could consistently hit their contacts, and was comfortable doing up to 20-30 obstacles in sequence without melting down.

That being said, I've been dying to trial Lexi (she's not quite old enough yet) because I felt as if she was ready. I asked Stuart Mah if he thought we should trial in April, and he said that it would probably be a good idea, and it would be a good "experience" for her. And we could better gauge where she was and what needed work.

I found that funny since she is light years ahead of where Bentley was in his first trial.
 
That being said, I've been dying to trial Lexi (she's not quite old enough yet) because I felt as if she was ready. I asked Stuart Mah if he thought we should trial in April, and he said that it would probably be a good idea, and it would be a good "experience" for her. And we could better gauge where she was and what needed work.

I found that funny since she is light years ahead of where Bentley was in his first trial.

I think we all get pickier about how green we'll start running dogs as we start showing second, third, fourth (etc) dogs
 
that is the thing, I would like to set my boy up for success and do not want to train any unwanted behavior. Obstacles were never the problem with Che although I never trained him with that funny crawl thing being so low/ his height in UKC is 14" jumps and crawl space really small to go under therefore.... and he is 19.5" at withers so it was very uncomfortable for him and he refused after first run... other than that he LOVES teeter, and while still misses weaves entry about 30%, does 12 weaves well....
I am entering him in local CPE trial coming end of March at our facility, which means it will be our equipment, noise and smells....
 
that is the thing, I would like to set my boy up for success and do not want to train any unwanted behavior. Obstacles were never the problem with Che although I never trained him with that funny crawl thing being so low/ his height in UKC is 14" jumps and crawl space really small to go under therefore.... and he is 19.5" at withers so it was very uncomfortable for him and he refused after first run... other than that he LOVES teeter, and while still misses weaves entry about 30%, does 12 weaves well....
I am entering him in local CPE trial coming end of March at our facility, which means it will be our equipment, noise and smells....

If you are questioning it, then maybe you are not ready.

My daughter started trialing when she was confident that she was ready, she didn't question it. Vinca and her knew the obstacles and did everything great.
 
I think a dog should have a solid 2o2o behaviour and good flatwork... that's about all I can think of... I also try and take Toffee to various venues, without trialing him first.
He will be a sniffing, spinning, barking fool on our first ever fun match in March I have no doubts, lol
 
I was thinking more about this.

I guess it all depends on what your goal is. Will you be a serious competitor (we're not necessarily talking Nationals, but more like are you going to take it very seriously)? Or are you just in it for the fun and could careless if your dog blows things?

I know with Koji, I was just having fun with him. Agility was something to burn off energy and nothing more. Going to a trial was just something to do. When I entered, I only entered those games I was confident in (weavers, tunnelers, jumpers) and stayed away from everything that could potentially scare him away from agility forever (especially cuz he was/is such a scaredy cat). I knew I wasn't going to take agility seriously, wasn't going to care what he did or didn't do. Granted, I was WAY WRONG with my assumption (no one told me agility is like crack :lol: ).

I started Koji in Standard/Regular WAY too early. I should've focused more on the DW and his contacts. Remember when he was going so slow over the DW and visibly scared? Why did I do that to him? Ugh! But, honestly, I think I'd still take a dog out for games I know they can do and that won't give them bad habits. I just won't push it like I did with Koji. So, when I get a second agility dog, I'll just continue games until they are confident and completing obstacles correctly. Granted, I think it's easier to wait with a second dog, especially if you're still running a first. lol.

So, it sounds like you'd rather wait. Which is good. Just remember, if you do want to trial, but don't want to push it, find games you KNOW your dog will succeed at and stick to those until you're confident in other games.

(just thinking a lot about agility this weekend)
 
Back
Top