Hey there. I have some questions about this lovely breed.
1. What tools do you need to groom a pet sheltie, and how often?
(in the books I've read, they say once a day, but I want to hear it from real sheltie owners)
2. Are they destrucive while bored(I know all dogs can, but do they have a tendency?)
3. Would they get along with kids[ages 3 and 5] (I know some of this is based on socialization)
4. Would they be okay with cats?
5. Is the 'singing' cute? I've seen videos, and it is the WEETEST thing ever!
6. Are they good cuddle buddies?
You've received alot of good answer already but here is my tuppence worth
1. Some people will scare you away from shelties with stories of daily grooming required. I really only groom my boys every two-three weeks. I might "spot groom" them in between if they get into stuff. I bath my boys about 3 times per year only. In between they get hose downs and dry shampoo brushes. If you ask a breeder how often they brush their dogs, I'm quite sure you won't hear "daily". With multiple dogs, there is no way they could groom dailly
2. Shelties are no more destructive than other dogs. But they are smart dogs and they do like to be challenged. On the flip side, Shelties are perfect dogs in that they adapt well to your lifestyle. At the cottage, my boys are wild men. At home, they are couch potatoes.
3. It depends on the dog. My dogs have never had problem with kids, but you are correct that the earlier you socialize them to young kids, the better
4. I had two old cats when I brought home my Timber. They do great with cats. I think Shelties are part cat anyway. They are sometimes aloof like cats, but still love their cuddles.
5. Shelties singing? Not! They have the most annoying bark ever!
6. Cuddle buddy? It depends on the dog. I'll always pick a male neutured Sheltie over a female. They are much bigger sucks. Females tend to more aloof. Not sure why that it is. My boys are the biggest sucks ever!
Hope this helps