Starting out

Show me? :confused2: Because I've looked all over the place and can't find one for cheaper.

We used to have a Toys 'R Us the next town over, and a K&B Toys as well. They closed down. :(
 
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Dog-Pet-18-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5638943c48
http://cgi.ebay.com/11-AMERICAN-KEN...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5883e67b8d
Here are cheapie starter tunnels/chutes. The only word of caution I'd give you about them is not to leave them outside. When you'r done, just squish them down, and bring them in. That way, they hold up longer.
None of these tunnels, including all others posted, are going to hold up to rough treatment. They're pretty much fabric tunnels. They'd be fine for starting out, and so long as you're careful, they should do just fine for what you'll be using them for.
I really do think you and your dogs will enjoy getting out there and trying agility. It really is a lot of fun, and it's great for building a wonderful relationship with your dogs.
As mentioned, that is the one problem with teaching 'formal' obedience... the dogs wanting to work only on one side. So, if you get into teaching actual heeling in your obedience class, the solution to that is teaching the dog to heel happily on both the left, and the right side, so the dog doesn't feel it has to be only on the left side to work with you :)
The flatwork books we posted will also help with the problem of a dog only wanting to work right at your side, as it is the foundation for sending ahead, and lateral distance in the agility ring, as well as other things.
 
Stacey, the reason we've been sticking to smaller "childrens tunnels" is due to space. I was working under the assumption Jessica wanted this tunnel for indoors and she commented in the past that the house was small and in a state of remodeling.

For outdoors, I know some great quality, reasonably inexpensive, tunnels and chutes; they are made by Pac-n-Go - come with their own carry bag and are legal length and diameter for under $100 each. (Clean Run sells them.) But these are DEFINITELY too big for indoors.

Jessica, have you checked toysrus.com?
 
Jessica - Look at this tunnel: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80078877 It's just under 6' long (70 inches) so it's actually long enough to put a slight curve to the tunnel without closing it off too much in the middle.

I was actually in our local Ikea store right before New Years and saw this tunnel. It appeared to be pretty well made and the only reason I didn't pick it up was I already had a small tunnel for indoor play.

The best news - It's only $20.00 (plush shipping)!
 
Yeah. To start off with I was only wanting a kids tunnel. :yes: I think they would love to zip down the hall through it. I know Fluffy would, anyway. Smudge would probably chase her and end up going through it that way. :lol:
 
Ashley I agree with you that is nice to have a well behaved puppy first but I also like having my"Agility Champion". It shows all the hard work I have put into Shadow and it has paid off.He has qualified for the AKC Nationals every year, World Team Tryouts. He has qualified for USDAA Nationals. He has competed Internationally.He has beaten the best in the world and has been beaten by the best in the world.He truly is an amazing dog.

Yes, I agree with you. I am constantly amazed by those who compete at the highest levels with their dogs (be it obedience, conformation or agility). And this holds true for Shadow as well, who is an incredible agility dog.

I wish I had the time and knowledge to get that far with a dog, but I definitely don't. Also, as much as I love Bentley, I know that he isn't an "agility dog" though he loves it. For me, agility is just something fun to do on the side. In my dream world I could compete at the highest level...but I think I better pay off my student loans first :wink2:
 
Back
Top