Stinkier After bath?!

I had to chuckle at the title of this thread. How does a dog get stinkier?

Anyhow, they always say, if you think your Sheltie is rinsed...rinse one more time. But as a puppy, he doesn't have all the coat an adult does, but you'll know if you got it all (mine tend to scratch if I don't rinse well enough).

I was also thinking....maybe he expressed his anal glands a bit. Kinda like you were saying about your ferrets. I've never had that issue, so no clue what or how bad that smells. LOL. Just throwing it out there.

Good luck. Hopefully he'll smell like a clean pup soon.
 
I can only concur with Cheryl that perhaps his anal glands got expressed somewhat, but like Cheryl, I've never had that problem either.
Have you checked under the tail for any obvious leakage/staining?

I will say that sometimes the groomers use a shampoo that reeks!

I also notice that sometimes when I use baby powder on my dogs (to detangle mats, it does actually have an adverse smell on them - weird because baby powder is supposed to smell good!

What kind of shampoo are you using?
 
im thinking it may have just been that my hubby didnt wash him good enough, that and the "wet dog" smell. he smells more normal today, meaning not like shampoo but not stink either. his neck still has a slight smell, but i think its just from not washing well enough. its not his hind end that stinks, so i dont think its his glands. for right now we are just using the petsmart brand puppy shampoo, so not great by any means i would guess, but for now i think it will work. this is what we got when we were getting stuff together before we brought him home. when this is gone, i may look into the higher quality brands.
 
I'm not sure what you mean about "washing well enough". A partial shampoo should not have created more smell.

How stinky was he before his bath? Was he stinkier afterwards? And I guess, we need to define "stinky"! :lol:

Yes, I'm one of those owners that only bathes the dogs 3 or 4 times per year, though they get brushed/groomed regularly. They do get hosed down (or dumped into the river) and a dry shampoo if they get into mud, and to freshen them up abit.
 
Back
Top