Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Suggestions for Kennel Cough?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Clover_DrogoMom, May 27, 2017.

1. Clover_DrogoMom

Clover_DrogoMom Forums Regular

May 20, 2017
    I'm happy to say he is doing SO much better today. He woke up with a pep in his step. He's not 100%, but he's eating a little, acting playful and more "with it". Yay!!

Ann likes this.
  2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    When it ran through my house, I mixed Slippery Elm with local honey and spoon fed it. It seemed to soothe their throats a bit. It was apparently so yummy I had a malingering dog! He only coughed when I was feeding this mixture. Totally fine otherwise. Liar!

JacqueZ, Ann and Clover_DrogoMom like this.
  3. Clover_DrogoMom

May 20, 2017
    Well we had a set back today. He woke up feeling lousy again and not eating :( So he went to the vet, got more meds, a shot and some canned food to try. The vet said if we don't see improvement he will need x-rays to check for pneumonia. So please keep your fingers crossed for my poor pup.

I will have to try the honey idea. I'm sure his throat is sore. He's a big crier/whiner when I put him in his crate and he really hasn't made a peep for days. I've been diffusing peppermint and lavender too ease his sinuses too.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Sending good thoughts for your pup's improvement. Thanks for keeping us updated. I hope the new meds do the trick.

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Poor little tyke. How's he going today?

6. Clover_DrogoMom

May 20, 2017
    He's ok. Seems to be improving little by little. He's been playing with our other dog and is a little more responsive and not coughing quite as much, unless he's exerting himself. But his appetite is still low (but he's eating some and still gaining weight) and energy level still low overall. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow I think.

7. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    How is the pup now?

8. Clover_DrogoMom

May 20, 2017
    He's much better! Still not eating quite as much as he should be, but he's definitely improving. He's also not coughing hardly at all now. It's a huge relief!!

Pam, Cara Sandler and Ann like this.
  9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that is good to hear:yes:

10. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    I am so sorry and wondering if the rest of the litter caught the cough also. Did you contact the breeder? I had a problem with Lil' Lady.
    Ran her to the vet, called the breeder to warn her of Lady's problem which was a parasite above her eye. Came from her dam. I stated
    to her if Lady has this problem you could have problems with the litter.