Suggestions for Low Calorie/fat Training Treats

I'm looking for some high value, low calorie treats too, in addition to the beef liver. Any other suggestions?

Can you get the mini-zukes up there? They are a favorite around here.

I also just use dinner meat scraps. I seriously just take our dinner plates, rinse off the meat scraps, chop it up really small, put it in a bag and freeze it. I use one bag for a weeks worth of leftovers and mark the bag with the week. Then I use the oldest bag as training treats for the week. It works great! It is always a variety, so my dogs really really want to listen because the treat is always a suprise!
 
I think that the key to making low cal high value treats is size. No matter what you do, the "better for you" treats aren't as enticing. The best thing that I can recommend if you're looking for something high value is to take a high value treat and break it/cut it into TINY pieces. Dogs don't know the difference when they are rewarded with a small treat.
 
I use rabbit or chinchilla food. It comes in small, dry pellets, is very portable, and mine go nuts for the. It's all grasses and no fat!! Plus it's CHEAP!!!!! :biggrin2:

This is a great idea, Chris. No fat and cheap is great! I'll have to try that. Presently I buy a bag every few months of Wellness Weight Management food which has pretty good size kibbles and I keep a little bowl on the kitchen counter. They each get a kibble when a treat is needed during the day and they're happy with that.
 
Back
Top