Summer Cut?

Just wanted to point out that there is no real difference between "shaving" and cutting a dog's hair. "Shaving" is just a term used for clipping a dog, which is just using clippers and a blade. Blades cut hair, as do scissors. Granted, going almost to skin is way worse than leaving some hair in my opinion. But if I used clippers and took 2 inches of hair off, it would be the exact same thing if I took my scissors and took 2 inches off. Just wanted to give my 2 cents on that for what it's worth.
 
Just wanted to point out that there is no real difference between "shaving" and cutting a dog's hair. "Shaving" is just a term used for clipping a dog, which is just using clippers and a blade. Blades cut hair, as do scissors. Granted, going almost to skin is way worse than leaving some hair in my opinion. But if I used clippers and took 2 inches of hair off, it would be the exact same thing if I took my scissors and took 2 inches off. Just wanted to give my 2 cents on that for what it's worth.

Uhh, no, thats your interpretation.
Going to any salon and ask them for a cut, or a shave, and see what the real world results are.

Both are types of cutting.
You can't say they are basically one and the same. Well, you can, I just wouldn't because I doubt most people consider them the same.

Dictionary.com highest relevant definition

Shave-

1. to remove a growth of beard with a razor.
verb (used with object), shaved, shaved or ( especially in combination ) shav·en, shav·ing.
2.to remove hair from (the face, legs, etc.) by cutting it off close to the skin with a razor.
3.to cut off (hair, especially the beard) close to the skin with a razor (often followed by off or away ).


Cut-

5. to trim by clipping, shearing, paring, or pruning: to cut hair.


I'd point out that there are very few things that are always proven. This certainly seems like one of them.

I live on the West Coast, between SF and Sacramento.
Today it was 96 in the shade, and it only gets hotter through Oct/Nov.

Boots got a puppy cut year before last, and appeared to be much happier in the heat.
Last year he did not, and while not markedly affected, was slightly less interested in playing in the park unless it was the shady areas.

Another lady at the park has a ~5-6 y.o. #100 Collie, that has never been trimmed, and had a very thick coat.
She finally tried giving him a puppy cut and he is now acting much livelier and is not panting all the time.

And this from a dog that is getting regular grooming.

Since Shelties are generally house dogs vs outside dogs, and most are companion dogs which means inside more than not, I'd argue that being true, a puppy cut has the potential to be more of a relief when the dog is outside in very warm weather than not.
Its not just the sun protection, but the actual heat. And in many cases that heat is 24x7, while actually being out in the sun is not.
Puppy cut gives far more cooling across the dogs entire surface area than allowing that mass of hair to heat up early in the day and just be an insulating heat blanket they carry around.
And no, the fact that they do not 'sweat' as we do does not invalidate this. This is a heat problem will known and solved in physics.
Sweating would be more efficient, however in lieu of it, air flow will still have a significant effect on cooling, which an insulting mass of hair will interfere with.

With the drought status we're in for this year, and heat I expect to see, I think I just convinced myself to get him that cut this weekend.

FWIW, Sheltie history that I've read indicates they are Northern breeds from Scandinavia bred with the local Scottish Isles working and rough collie breeds.
The Scandinavian breeds where definately more adapted to the much cooler/cold climates than warm.

To date, for all the arguing, I don't think I've seen anyone cite anything scientific/peer reviewed that backs up the contention that a puppy cut somehow is worse than leaving a dog uncut.
 
Last edited:
Sorry, but I have to disagree! I can't see any benefit of removing guard hair to keep a dog cool, whether it is shaved or cut.

The only remedy is removing excess dead hair by regular brushing. Indy has a very thick coat. And as a tri, I think suffers sun even more because of his dark colour. So when its really hot and humid, I make sure he has shade, cold water and brush him out a lot.

Chris's situation may be unique and you will note she only does this for Bitsy.

I would not recommend this normally. And yes, my summers are generally extremely hot and humid. Even in Canada!
 
Being I am hotter than Vallejo by a few thousand degrees -- I always used a maternity cut on my Aussies and last year the sheltie came with one as they checked her for spay. I liked to trim (cut actually with scissors rather than shave) the belly, inner thighs, and the bum area. We looked great from the top but could chill on tile, concrete, or even in a shallow kiddie pool, or a dog bed with cooling pad. Even my 95 pound ginormous Aussie faired the Fresno CA dry heat just fine. It also was super for camping in the forest so the pine needles didn't stick quite so much or standing in the lake.

I would ask for a "maternity cut" or roll the guy over during grooming and trim away.
 
VallejoSheltie, I think you misread what I wrote.

Lots of people walk into grooming salons and ask to have their dog shaved. That does not mean the groomer is going to get a Gillette Fusion ProGlide razor and take the hair off lol....

Like I said in my last post, "shaving" is a term used for clipping a dog's hair short. And the act of clipping, which is using clippers and a blade, cuts hair. Scissors cut hair as well. So if someone came into my salon and said "Can you take 2 inches off of my 4 inch long haired dog" they wouldn't know the difference if I took my clippers and took 2 inches off or took my scissors and took 2 inches off. Because it's the same thing... The hair is getting cut and the dog will have 2 inches left either way. :smile2:

Edit:
Btw, I am a professional groomer.
 
It does make a difference though in terms of what you are trimming.

A few years ago I brought Bacca in for a groom and asked for the poop chute to be trimmed up. The groomer shaved his entire back end. The guard hair never grew back properly.

It's one thing to even the line and trim ragged ends, but an all ever shortening...? No. Unless there is a condition that requires it. We are giving Bitsy that one! She's an isolated case.
 
It's one thing to even the line and trim ragged ends, but an all ever shortening...? No. Unless there is a condition that requires it. We are giving Bitsy that one! She's an isolated case.

Bitsy Boodle thanks you! Next Wednesday, she is going for her summer clip by Master Groomer Irina Philips -- she and her husband Lee own Vibrant Pets. I am so fortunate to live near such incredible kind and talented people.
 
Back
Top