Surgery for Lacey

Lacey has been doing great, until today when her wound started oozing blood. This is normal for 24 hours after surgery, but not now. Naturally, it's Sunday and there isn't a vet to be found. Shout out to Chewy, who offers a 24/7 veterinary consulting service FREE to anyone with a Chewy account. I was able to get a vet immediately online, send a picture of the wound, and get advice on how to manage it until tomorrow morning when I can get her to my vet...avoiding a very costly trip to emergency today. Never a dull moment.....
 
Dag! Please say the chewy vet didn't raise huge alarms and its probably nothing??
And I too had no clue about chewy vets!

Based on what I said, the vet thought I could wait till tomorrow for my vet to see her. It's just oozing, not gushing blood. He told me to cold compress it with a bit of pressure and put the compress inside a ziplock baggie so the wound didn't get wet, which I never would have thought of, and to clean it with clorhexidine.

So far, it's still bleeding so I got a giant gauze pad and taped it over the incision on her fur, not skin, to keep it in place so she won't keep bleeding through her onesie. Hopefully that will work till tomorrow.

This is the second time I've used the Chewy veterinary consult service, and I can't say enough about it. You get someone immediately, no waiting, and they won't prescribe or diagnose, but when you need some quick stopgap advice it's priceless. And astoundingly, free.
 
I hope the vet can fix her up tomorrow! and I hope her aftercare is manageable.
Gavin had his mast cell removed on his upper thigh area, it was a big and tight incision and the stitches didn't hold :(
It had to heal by secondary intention. basically, bandage changes every 2-3 days for weeks at the vets which was thankfully only 15 minutes away.
When he had his paw issues later in life (he had an open wound about the size of a quarter), I did it myself at home (and used manuka honey/hydrogel).
It was a lot of work, but not difficult.

and great news about chewy... I had no idea!
 
We're back from the vet and Lacey is OK, phew. There's a pocket under one of her stitches that is causing the problem. Vet cleaned the area out well and gave me some prescription antibiotic ointment to use on it twice a day. Hoping the crisis is past, but they'll check her again on Thursday.
 
Back
Top