Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Swollowing food without chewing

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Zana, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    My 2 love treat dispenser toys but I can't feed them this way as they constantly steel each other's treats. I'd have no way to know who actually got a meal.

2. Zana

Zana Premium Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Boise
    Well, I'm glad kota is not the only shelty. So, day 2 of slow feeder bowl. Big change. She's eating way more slower. Still swallowing, but at least its not a huge mouth full anymore.

The kong was fun. She licks @ the large hole trying to just lick em out vs moving it around. And when it does move, she stares at it til it stops. I'm going to keep up with it until she's used to it. Again no chewing, but Swollowing.

Aside from teeth getting worse with eating soft foods only, take4roll19 has a point. bloat is another concern. It is rare for smaller breeds, but it does happen. All deep chested dogs r more prone to bloat, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and the way kota was eating, I'm surprised she didn't get bloat. She would also drink huge amounts of water afterwards her gulping mouth full of food.

3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie has always swallowed her pills - whether big or small, the meal ends after 3 seconds.
    She looks at me - make a proper burp and it was that meal. :yes:

But when she gets the same pills as treats - every time they are chewed very carefully :wink2:

4. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Lil' Lady does this sometimes. Drives me nuts. I yell CHEW and she will chew. Her treats she does chew.
    I always have fear of her choking and at 12 she hasn't choked on me yet. Thank goodness.

Zana likes this.
  5. Zana

Zana Premium Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Boise
    Kota is so silly and being a spoiled brad. She hates the slow feeder. She will eat a bit, but then will leave it and then pick at it throughout the day. Maybe I should try the ball in the bowl. She loves her kong. She will lick first as much as she can and when all else fails she'll paw at it.

Such a silly, stubborn girl.