The fall drives me crazy...

GlennR

Forums Enthusiast
Every walk today was followed by a long session of seed removal from Willow's coat. Somewhere on our route are plants that are shedding little seeds that get tangled in her fur. The slicker doesn't remove them, only handpicking seems to work. Once I get the seeds out, some have prongs, some just small ovals, a thorough comb-out is needed to untangle her coat. She's been behaving well but both of us are getting fed up. I think I may stick to sidewalks on residential streets and abandon our beloved park belt for a while.

Is anybody else experiencing this? I ask because misery loves company. :)
 
We get burr clovers which have velcro like spines, castor beans, the same only bigger and the horrible foxtails which are sharp and folded up umbrellas, once they penetrate they just keep going and can tunnel in between toes etc. This goes from about May until it rains again which won't be till about November. So I feel your pain but just for much longer....:uhoh:

One thing that helps, I use clippers on their lower leg feathers to cut them close to the leg during summer, from about the hock down. It helps to find stuff quicker that way.
 
I'm always pulling twigs off Piper and Finnie's butt fur lol. Fortunately where we walk it's really just leaves and twigs, no burrs although they are around.
Went to a show last year and the location they had for us to potty the dogs was full of burrs! Pain for both you and the dog to remove!
 
I feel your pain...
We have an awful plant called Spanish Clover. If Kip walks through it we are doomed!! It is currently seeding and it’s hundreds of Velcro seeds glue themselves to his fur. Spanish clover grows everywhere. My only solution is to only walk the dogs in pastures that have been grazed recently by cows, because the cows eat the Spanish clover.
 
I feel for you Glenn, Monty MUST climb into a bush to pee. After walks I'm spending at least 30mins getting all the seeds, twigs, bugs etc out of his coat. I'm starting to think the Sphynx cat look will suit him, much easier to manage :yes:
 
Mindy HATES all the burrs she gets. She stops in the middle of a walk to try to get them out herself. When we get home it’s a competition between us to see who can get them out first.

Here’s a little trick that works wonders for larger burrs. Crush them with a pliers. They break right up. All the little seeds inside drop out but this is easier to clean up off the floor than trying to brush out or untangle those bigger burrs. Seriously, after they’re crushed, those bigger things come out no trouble.
 
Back
Top