The good, the bad and the ugly!

seashel

Forums Enthusiast
Our first time doing agility indoors this year, last weekend at Weald show. It's a very noisy venue and I didn't know how Epic would be. He coped OK last year but it's very different to what he is used to.
We had a clear on the agility course which I was delighted with as it was our first ever clear on a grade 4-7 course and first ever indoor clear. Also our first outing in grade 5, so I was thrilled when we were second - the huge wide turn at the RC before the weaves cost us the win but actually I'm glad, for reasons which became clear on the two jumping courses that followed.

The first jumping round had a tricky box in the middle requiring a RC to a 270 and stupidly I turned the wrong way causing him to back jump :gaah He had messed up on the weaves already (because he was put off by them being by the barn door which had a big gap underneath) but I wasn't bothered by that as much as me going the wrong way and confusing him. So sorry Epic :no:

Things went from bad to worse in the next jumping class which was for all grades 1-7. Not the easiest course in the world but that is no excuse. Right from the start things went wrong with the first pull through then Epic back jumped on the Ketckher which he's never done before and it deteriorated from there. He did nice weaves but we fell apart on the rest of it, down to me as I kept doing the wrong things, getting the timing wrong etc. The only bit I am pleased with on that entire run was the wrap and last three line of jumps as I always try to finish a run positively. But what a disaster!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA9tDfvxYIE

We are considerably stronger on agility courses than jumping ones so I am conscious I need to improve a lot in this area but it is me forgetting stuff which is a major problem. Not often the course these days but forgetting which handling manoeuvre I need and how and when to execute it is an ongoing issue. I really want to get this better over the winter - any thoughts?

I'm not in any hurry to move out of Grade 5 because there is a lot to work on. I just don't want to keep confusing Epic through bad handling and courses only get tougher so I must sort myself out.
 
Bummer about the mistakes in the second two runs--but don't let them overshadow the first one! That was really great! I don't have a ton of advice because our courses simply aren't that tight! I will say that a couple of the times that he back jumped I don't think you were showing enough forward motion.

I also tend to have trouble remembering, but for me it's remembering the courses. If I get to the right obstacle I remember what to do...it's just getting there that's hard! :confused2::lol:
 
There is a lot of good stuff in those videos and the first run was lovely. Focus on that.

I do feel you have lost a little bit of confidence in yourself and your ability to handle these harder courses. That is understandable, Grade 5 is a bit scary and it takes time to adjust. I have friends who have just gotten to Grade 5 with their first dog and are finding they get a lot more Es than anything else.

You will get your head around these courses, just give yourself time:wink2:

Ideally, if you can find a training venue, I would want to be regularly practicing Grade 5-6 courses (yes, the harder ones too, because they will often pitch courses at Grade 6 level in 4-7s) with someone watching to pick up errors. If that is not possible, I would break down Grade 5 courses into sections I could practice at home.

And now I have given all this great advice, please remind me of it when I reach a level I struggle with (probably only grade 3 with Merlin, lol!)
 
You are right Sophie, those last two runs, especially the last did dent my confidence and probably watching some videos of the AWC while editing my videos was not the best idea... :rolleyes2: I do try and take as much information as I can from watching those incredible partnerships but make me feel very inferior. :razz:

My instructor is now setting courses which regularly contain threadles, serpentines and go rounds/backsides. The latter is definitely something I need to work on. :eek2: I can see us having a busy winter! I'm working on jump commitment at the moment and the garden is developing some interesting wing sized circular mud tracks! :lol: The search for an indoor training venue continues but in the meantime I have booked several independent shows so at least we will be doing some agility.

Also just ordered another 'proper' jump so we can practice some more - next on the list is a handcart to trundle the gear to and from the field...:lol:
 
You are right Sophie, those last two runs, especially the last did dent my confidence and probably watching some videos of the AWC while editing my videos was not the best idea... :rolleyes2: I do try and take as much information as I can from watching those incredible partnerships but make me feel very inferior. :razz:

watching the top competitors is supposed to be inspiring- but you can easily develop an inferiority complex. one thing to remember is that most of those people don't have day jobs- agility is what they do. if you could focus and train as much as they do- you'd be up there too.:yes:
 
I also tend to have trouble remembering, but for me it's remembering the courses. If I get to the right obstacle I remember what to do...it's just getting there that's hard! :confused2::lol:

Glad I'm not the only one :gaah And the teeny tiny cones with the numbers on them? No help at all, lol
 
I had a rather humbling experience today. Jessica and I went to the 'Discover Dogs' exhibition in London
http://www.discoverdogs.org.uk/
and one of the things we watched was the Young Kennel Club agility. There were some talented partnerships there too but the ones that impressed me the most were the kids whose dogs didn't perform perfectly. They were very much in the spotlight being watched by several hundred people and the pressure must have been intense for the handlers and their dogs. Some of the dogs really did goof about but the crowd loved it and the kids showed huge maturity by smiling and continuing to be up beat and positive and giving their dogs a good hug at the end. I see this a lot with junior handlers at shows - and it really is a lesson to us adults in how to cope with disappointment/frustration. In front of a crowd that size in an important competition it must have been even harder, but those kids were a real credit to the sport. :biggrin2: It just showed me you don't have to have a perfect run to be good in agility. :smile2:
 
Back
Top