The new Aspirin?

VallejoSheltie

Forums Enthusiast
OK, I've been researching DMSO as I'd heard it mentioned as a pain reliever that the NFL uses. I've been in a number of accidents, mostly being rear-ended, aside from a head-on in my teens. I do see a Chiroprator regularlay, and know that it works incredibly for me. However, I was hoping to find something I could use in place of Ibuprofin/Acetaminaphin that I take on a somewhat regular basis for joint/muscle pain.

Imagine my surprised when I find out that DMSO is one of the most widely tested substances known (60K Medline cites), and one of the least toxic.
And, is the substance they use to transport Donor Organs with....

So I was at the feedstore getting chicken feed, and happened to see they had some DMSO in the Equine section. Picked up a 16 oz. bottle for $8.95, and after checking out the Manf. online (Made in OK), tried it on myself.
Worked as advertised, within 10 minutes my neck/shoulder pain was gone.

Did more research and happened to come across studies where it was used in some cancer treatments. Mentioned it last week to a dog trainer who frequents my local park and just had her dog diagnosed with Lymphoma.
Thought I'd surprise her with a potentially useful suggestion. However, she surprised me be telling me they'd put her dog on it immediately, along with some other medication to treat Salmon Disease, which is how that happened to catch the Lymphoma. Since the dog was being treated for infection, they couldn't treat with any chemo, but were able to start the DMSO.
With her dog having recovered from the Salmon after 3-4 weeks, they went in and did another check-up. Dog is 4 or 6 I think.
Results have come back that its in remission, and the only thing that could have done it was either spontaneous or DMSO.

Just thought I would mention this here since so many people have injured dogs, and medication is both expensive and always kind of iffy. This might be something you could use both on yourself and your dog is there are painful joints, stiff muscles at the least.

DMSO is not patentable, which is probably why it hasn't seen much interest, though 60 Minutes did do a segment on it.

Sent my bottle to my sister who has a herniated disk, will let you know how it works.

Another simple suggestion, Magnesium.
I've pretty much cured myself of kidney stones through daily supplementation of Magnesium, and found a Texas teaching hospital doing the same.
Most Westerners are woefully deficient in it, and to make matters worse, dieuretics like coffee and dark soda's ( or caffeine) only increase the expulsion of Mag. and that increases inflammation and calcium-plaque creation in arteries.
Increase you Mag (not Mag. Oxide though!) consumption, and the calcium you take will actually be better retained and used.

My sister noted above started taking Mag. as I suggested and is insistent it initially worked almost better than her pain pills. I find it hard to believe that, not sure if that is the placebo effect or not, however she's still taking it, and has cut back on her pain meds quite a bit IIRC.

If you or your dog are sore, it is very easy to make an Epsom salt bath and bath in it for a while. While its Mag. Sulfate, the Mag does absorb much easier through the skin without GI issues.
Easy non-medicine pain reliever option.

OK, I'll get off the soapbox.
 
Last edited:
You want to make sure you buy 100% pure dmso not 99% which is what is most commonly sold. There is something in the 99% pure that you dont want when using on people and animals.
Also, make sure everything is sterile when using it. It will absorb whatever is on your skin into your body. I would use gloves when handling and applying it to yourself. It can be used in conjunction with other substances. Cortisone creams and the like are often used with it.
I know about it from back when I had horses.
 
Did you notice that you started tasting an onion/garlic taste after applying it? We used gloves when applying it with strict instructions not to get it on our skin. I'll have to do some research now to see if the medical field is less concerned about it.
 
HopeShelties,

People can go to DMSO.org and read about Dr. Jacob who really promolgated<sp> the substance.
As for purity, here is a cite somewhat related: http://jbx.sagepub.com/content/early/2013/06/13/1087057113492201.abstract
As far as 100% purity, Dr. Jacobs (http://www.jacoblab.com/) who "We established the quality standard and formulas for which all pharmaceutical grade DMSO is made." only supplies 99.98%, so not sure where you heard 100% only as I don't think that is available except perhaps as lab agent or cell culture media at $60/ml ?

My concern would be buying off of Amazon from some of the sellers who have no data on where they get it. Maybe China, or maybe just bulk DMSO.
Even then I'm not sure how bad it can get as it is apparently a very simple to make, however it can oxidize with exposure to air, at least thats what the cell culturers say.

What most people and vets I would suspect use, is 99% purity at 70-90% strenght. Diluted with distilled water.

I merely clean the area with soap and lots of water and let it dry. Comes in a roll-on, so roll it on and either wipe it off after 10-15 minutes or let it dry there. Personal preference, though you may want to experiment a bit, as the 90%, or longer wet exposure time may redden the skin a little bit.
Don't see a need for gloves, just simple basic precautions.
Common sense reigns though, don't use this on your sore hands/knuckles if you've recently gotten gas on them at the gas station, or been playing with strippers/primers, etc.

I know its being used by a lot of people to help target OTC pain meds likes Ibuprofin. They just crush the pill or empty the caplet over the applied area and let it soak right in. Instead of having to be ingested and absorbed and distributed all throughout the body, you can really target the specific area.

You want to make sure you buy 100% pure dmso not 99% which is what is most commonly sold. There is something in the 99% pure that you dont want when using on people and animals.
Also, make sure everything is sterile when using it. It will absorb whatever is on your skin into your body. I would use gloves when handling and applying it to yourself. It can be used in conjunction with other substances. Cortisone creams and the like are often used with it.
I know about it from back when I had horses.
 
Tagg,

Yes I did, not overpowering but enough for my wife to notice. I'd already read about that, so it wasn't a surprise. Just like garlic, it was gone within 24-36 hours.
I'm not exactly sure what the deal is with gloves, except that it is probably to protect the human applying it from any issues with having it on our hands and having other liquids/contaminants coming into contact with them in the next several hours. Since we use our hands for everything, that could conceivibly be any household product, farm/barn items, or if you're going to work in a factory, industrial stuff.
This is about as dangerous as hydrogen peroxide 3% to humans, however because it will dry but still apparently pull stuff through the skin for a couple of hours, its also worth being safe than sorry.
Like I said, my 'protocol' is to roll it on, and wipe it off with some tissue. Since I've only had to put it on a couple of times, at night, a clean t-shirt suffices to prevent contact with much else.

FDA- http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceManuals/CompliancePolicyGuidanceManual/ucm074679.htm


A good article on DMSO- http://www.arthritismd.com/dmso.html


Did you notice that you started tasting an onion/garlic taste after applying it? We used gloves when applying it with strict instructions not to get it on our skin. I'll have to do some research now to see if the medical field is less concerned about it.
 
Back
Top