Theme names

We don't do themes really. When the pups were born we did with the call names but they are really just something to call them besides blue boy, Little tri girl etc. The call names may or may not stay.

Diva's first litter- Porter, Sangria, Shiraz and Bock(now Coal)

Cassi's-Summer, June(now Junebug) and Equinox(now Rush)

Grizz/Ada- Birch, Ash, Magnolia, Juniper(now Willow), Hickory(now Bo), Spruce(now Leo) and Balsam(now Elliot)

Diva#2-Syndney(now Kaile), London(now Star), Paris(now Molli), Houston(now Chief) and Boston Sox(now Roper)-I guess no one liked cities :lol:

Vogue-Ralph, Viutton(now Louie), Tommy(now Tucker) and Gucci.

Registered names all over the place. We let the the pet owners pick their own names as I think that is part of the fun of having your dog. Of course, we approve it but haven't turned any down.

My own personal dogs are all over the place

Justice is Blue Banners Code of Honor
Ember is Blue Banners Fire N' Ice
Diva is Serendipity's Prima Donna
Jamie is Calypso Nitty Gritty
Birch is Blackmyst ? Still working on that.:wink2:
 
The litter Edan and CJ came from all had a Wild West theme to their names since their sire was named (Kennel) Colt Forty Five with a call name of Pistol. Edan and CJ were the only two officially registered with their western names since they were the only two kept for show.

CJ's name, as you can see in my signature, is Casia's Calamity Jane.
Edan's original registered name was Casia's Pistol Pete with a call name of Pete. (Their breeder always jokingly called Pistol 'Pistol Pete'.)
I don't know what the other 4 pups in the litter were named since they were long gone when I went to see a 6th month old Edan.

If we'd have gotten a puppy instead of CJ a few years ago, I was planning to stick with the "fire" idea I had going with Edan's name. (Edan means "fire" in Scottish Gaelic - hence his "Celtic Fire" registered name.) I was thinking of something like "(Kennel) Bride's Eternal Flame with a call of Brigid. Bride (Breed) is the ancient Celtic name for St. Bridget. Like the Nun's today tend the St. Bridget's eternal flame, so did the ancient Pagan priestess of Bride. I'm still holding this one for future use.
 
I'm a nerd!

My corgi is Obi Mobi-Wan Kenobi, call name Mobi.
And my sheltie is Ciel Brae Halo the Dragonborn on paper, call name Halo.

:P
 
Buffy's family all have fire names because there is a pretty red undertone in their fur. She is (kennel name)'s Sparkler.

This also has meaning to me because my great aunt who used to breed Shelties and collies died shortly before we got Buffy. We always used to have sparklers on her birthday.

If we got another dog it would totally be Starbuck after the character in Battlestar Galactica. Kind of a TV show theme I guess?
 
I've got an alcohol theme going on.

My first sheltie was named Brandy (Alexander). She passed away in 2004.
My girl who is 3 years old is named Bailey (Irish Cream). Her AKC name is Madam Basil "On The Rocks."

I wanted to name Bailey after Brandy to honor her, so I decided to choose another alcohol-related name that starts with a "B". Bailey was an easy choice.

I have a few names in mind for my next dog: Jack (Daniels), Remy (Martin), Gin or Ginny, Whiskey... but that won't be for a while. Not sure if I will even keep the theme.
 
You guys are so creative.

Never thought of themed kennel names. But then again, when I got Miko, I didn't give him a kennel name. He was just Miko "Surname". When I got Koji, and AKC was allowing changes, I changed their kennel names to reflect their sire/dams a bit, but more so, reflect them to me (see below for kennel names). But otherwise, no theme.

Their call names, however, are both Japanese. Not sure if I'll stick to it or not, as I've already decided I'm going to get Miko's name tattooed when it's his time, in Kanji (Japanese characters). If I keep going with the theme, then I need to find a place I can put all the future dogs, cuz there will be many. :) My original spot was to be on my inside wrist. No way am I putting more than 2 dog names there, LOL. Can you imagine, it'll go to my elbow one day.

Can't wait to read more themes.
 
I love theme names, and some of the names you guys have posted are just awesome! I've never lived in a multi-dog household, so have never had the opportunity to use themed names... but I probably would, if given half the chance. Even with just the one dog, we decided on a "theme" before we even had a puppy picked out.

I wanted to reflect the breed's origins in the dog's name, so we decided to name our puppy after a place in the Shetland Islands. Well, there is one town in the Shetland Islands. Lerwick. That sounded like a more masculine name to me, so we decided that'd be the pup's name if we got a male. There is also a small village in the Shetland Isles (not big enough to be considered a town), Brae, which I chose for a girl's name if we'd gotten a female.

To get a good list of potential names going (from which we chose Lerwick and Brae), I spent a lot of time gathering names of every hill, rock, stream, pond, church and ruin in the Shetland Islands that had a name attached to it on Google Maps. :lol: An interesting fact... although the Shetland Islands are part of Scotland, they have a very strong Norse connection, too. A local Norse dialect, Norn, was spoken there until the 19th century, so many of the place names there don't sound remotely Scottish/Celtic. For instance, Lerwick (pronounced Lair-wick). There's a Leirvik in Norway, and the Faroe Islands too.

I've saved the list of Shetland Isle place names we found, in case I decide to stick with the place names theme for future Shelties. We'll have to see. We really like Lerwick's name, but it seems to be a little too "out there" for most people. They can't pronounce it (even after hearing us say it multiple times)... people often ask where we got the name, then give us a big blank stare when we explain it... sometimes I wish we'd just called him Spot. :rolleyes2:
 
I love theme names, and some of the names you guys have posted are just awesome! I've never lived in a multi-dog household, so have never had the opportunity to use themed names... but I probably would, if given half the chance. Even with just the one dog, we decided on a "theme" before we even had a puppy picked out.

I wanted to reflect the breed's origins in the dog's name, so we decided to name our puppy after a place in the Shetland Islands. Well, there is one town in the Shetland Islands. Lerwick. That sounded like a more masculine name to me, so we decided that'd be the pup's name if we got a male. There is also a small village in the Shetland Isles (not big enough to be considered a town), Brae, which I chose for a girl's name if we'd gotten a female.

To get a good list of potential names going (from which we chose Lerwick and Brae), I spent a lot of time gathering names of every hill, rock, stream, pond, church and ruin in the Shetland Islands that had a name attached to it on Google Maps. :lol: An interesting fact... although the Shetland Islands are part of Scotland, they have a very strong Norse connection, too. A local Norse dialect, Norn, was spoken there until the 19th century, so many of the place names there don't sound remotely Scottish/Celtic. For instance, Lerwick (pronounced Lair-wick). There's a Leirvik in Norway, and the Faroe Islands too.

I've saved the list of Shetland Isle place names we found, in case I decide to stick with the place names theme for future Shelties. We'll have to see. We really like Lerwick's name, but it seems to be a little too "out there" for most people. They can't pronounce it (even after hearing us say it multiple times)... people often ask where we got the name, then give us a big blank stare when we explain it... sometimes I wish we'd just called him Spot. :rolleyes2:

Spot wouldn't have been right- Lerwick is a really cool name:yes:
 
I think Lerwick is an incredibly cool name! If you like the name, go for it!

My dog has a Scottish-Gaelic name, Edan (AY-den) which 97% of the people gating at Agility or Rally trials pronounce as EE-den, as in "Garden of Eden". The 3% that don't mispronounce it are people who know me and me dog such as club member, my DH, and people we see regularly at trials.

My DH and I made a game out of his name being mispronounced. 1 get to buy a raffle ticket for every time his name is pronounced incorrectly. :lol:

Overall, I've learned to live with the fact that his name will be mispronounced regularly. I chose the name knowing it was going to happen so I just let it go when it happens. If I have a chance, I politely correct people (some are actually very interested when I tell them it's a Scottish-Gaelic name) other times I just let it go.
 
Back
Top