Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Titer testing

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Piper's mom, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
  2. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    I can only repeat what I have said here many times before. The veterinary profession, greatly to its credit (and in contrast to human medicine) realized that we were vaccinating more than necessary, especially since *due to diligent vaccination efforts* these diseases are not commonly seen any more, and voluntarily have cut WAY back. Since the 'every dog every shot every year' days , between extended protocols and 'core' vs 'optional' programs determined for the individual patient, we probably give about 20% of the vaccines we were giving in the 1990s.
    Sure, I can titer if an owner insists, but really, one vaccine every three years is not onerous, unreasonable, or in the great majority of cases any health threat to the dog. So I think that the arguments that veterinarians are giving way too many unnecessary vaccinations just to make money, or that titering is necessary if you care about your dog's health, are not realistic.

Calliesmom and Cara Sandler like this.
  3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    This ^^^^^^^^