Toenails

Always make sure you have something like Quik Stop on hand to catch the bleeders. I think I also read somewhere that in a pinch baking soda will do as well.

The hardest thing about clipping the quick is getting your dog to trust you all over again. You sometimes have to go back to puppy 101.

We discovered that a little dish of flour works really well if you hit the quick, it stops the bleeding really quickly.
 
I got into trouble some years ago with one of my Border Collies. I clipped his nails, and for some reason, missed a toe when I dremeled. He caught the nail on the carpet while going full boogie speed down the stairs and tumbled head over heels down the stairs. He was unhurt, except for the bleeding toenail.

I tried every trick I knew of to stop the bleeding - baking soda, flour, stypic powder, and plain old pressure. Nothing worked, and of course, it was early Sunday night.

I felt stupid, but off to the ER vet clinic we went. They cauterized the nail and bandaged it so he wouldn't bite at it. I now make sure I have a disposable cautery tool in the dogs' first aid kit. (It's actually one of the ones they use on human eye surgery - very fine tip.)
 
There is no doubt that when you manage to clip the quick, you send your nail trimming program backwards, and need to start again from puppy 101 to get the dog to trust you again.

For that reason, I tend to do the nails on my bed, after 8 p.m. when the dogs are starting to go do-do anyway.

I find if they are relaxed, then I am too. And if they are relaxed, I can grind alot further than I could otherwise. And get closer to the quick without actually touching it accidentally.
 
When I clipped my boy's nails, he just patiently laid on his side, until I said OK.

I bathed my boy in a big Scrub-A-Dub-Dog bath, and dried him with a Dri-Eaz cage dryer. The hardware was expensive, but over his lifetime, I'm sure that it paid for itself. More importantly, he got to be bathed/dried at home.

(I once I took him to a PetsMart Grooming. He was miserable, and they did a poor job on his nails. After that, I was determined to do it myself.)
 
Back
Top