Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Toothbrush

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by GlennR, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

I use CET toothpaste..chicken flavor. Gavin likes it!

Shelby's mom likes this.
  2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I have several toothbrushes and of them the child's one is probably the better. However, on recommendation of my vet, I use a piece of damp medical gauze wrapped around my finger, plus toothpaste, to clean my dog's teeth. So much easier and much more effective.

As for the back teeth, chewing is really what keeps them clean. Growing up the dogs had a meaty bone a couple of times a week (half a lamb shank each until they became expensive and trendy). You can blanche the meat if you are taking the bone from them when the meat is gone, As they aged they got chewy meat without the bone, like a minute/sizzle steak or gravy steak (cooked). My dogs only needed their first dental at 10yrs old, and even then could have waited longer.

Interestingly, after living with my mother for 9mths, where she cut meat into tiny pieces, or fed tinned and kibble (and greenies), my dogs needed another dental a year later.

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Regular

Feb 6, 2019
    My Breeder recommended pig snout as chew toy. Then I noticed Petco sells them for more than $3 a piece. I’m looking for a place that has more reasonably priced pig snouts.

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Not at all, it's just a bit smaller than an adult one.

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Wow.... I tried one of those on Piper and Finnie and NO WAY would they allow it near their mouth! Lol

Ann and Caro like this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    We use dog toothbrushes that have a small head on one end and a larger one on the other. Chewy has them for pretty cheap. i imagine the child's soft bristle would be fine. It definitely is tricky getting those back molars. We are lucky ours are fairly cooperative and they do like the taste of the paste. Having spent literally thousands of dollars on dentals and/or extractions, I'm a believer in brushing, we do it 3 times a week though, I barely have time to brush my own teeth every day, LOL.

I did buy a dental scaler from my vet and use that to scrape with especially along the gum line.

Ann and Caro like this.
  7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    I use a child’s soft bristle brush too. To get her back teeth I just pull her lips away and brush. Shelby loves having her teeth brushed. Can’t say those words without her getting excited.

Hanne likes this.
  8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    This is funny! A couple who are friends of mine have a Checkers daughter who would follow them into the bathroom from a very young age and watch intently while they brushed their teeth with an electric toothbrush. One day, they tried it on her. Now she has her own and goes in every day with the husband and waits for her own teeth to be brushed. :lol:

None of mine would tolerate that either! Too much like the dremmel. :eek2:

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that is awesome:yes:
    if I could just get one to do it- the others would see the cookie-fest and then they'd all be ok with it.....
    everybody waits for the dremel and the cookies that come after....

Ann likes this.
  10. ttexan

ttexan Premium Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Sandia Park, NM
    The sound of my electric toothbrush in the evening attracts both my furry kids for their nightly brush. I started brushing when a cleaning, including one extraction and one treatment to avoid a second cost me over $1000. I have now changed vets, but figure if I can avoid (or at least delay) another vet cleaning, it is worth the time and effort.