Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Training Tips for door protecting

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Pam, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Hi, Beau being Beau barks and scratches at our front door, which has a 3/4 length glass pane. I had, notice had, a door curtain hung but that has turned to shreds. I am not sure what training approach to use to keep him from actually scratching at the door/curtain when someone walks right past our door or comes up to the porch. I know he is just doing what he should which is being a watchdog, but I would love to be able to keep a curtain there :) All advice is appreciated.

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Can you try to put a barrier near the door that you teach him not to cross?

Like a flat piece of plywood that is just at his eye height? I have seen some folks be successful using dowels propped up on a vertical piece of wood on the left and right side of a doorway. Then they moved to string. Then just a line on the ground. The dog eventually understood not to cross the threshold.

How To Teach Your Dog An Invisible Border

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Double sided tape on the door and window deterred my cats from scratching at them. Only had to leave it on for a short while to get long term deterrence - they hate the feel of the tape on their paws.

ghggp likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I can imagine that this is a difficult thing to correct....short of changing the door have you considered an add on blind? They have them here in Canada at Home Depot made by ODL add on treatment (that's what it says on the Home Depot Canada site. Their great for pets because the blind is under glass and the dog can't damage them and there are no cords. I think you can order the size you need online and pick up in store. I know someone who has one and it was easy to install.

ghggp likes this.