Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Tylan powder

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Bradt9881, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    It requires a prescription and tastes awful. It is used in dogs who require AB on a long term basis (eg for dogs with IBD/autoimmune diseases or staph/sepsis). Tylan is also the drug most often used in chickens and other slaughter meat - when you hear about farmers giving their animals AB this is the one they use. It is not something you should give ad hoc. There has been increasing levels of AB resistance developing due to it's wide spread use, which is why access was restricted and it's approval for use in livestock is being phased out in many countries. Because of this issue with resistance, and it's important role in treating some very serious diseases in dogs, it is not used as a first line prescription. Flagyl (metronidazole), amoxicillan or a sulfonamide will always be prescribed first. You don't want your dog developing a resistance to it in case they get very sick.

I really encourage you not to use Tylosin (or any antibiotic) unnecessarily.

ghggp, DianeP and Piper's mom like this.
  2. DianeP

DianeP Forums Regular

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    I agree! Our 14 year old pap was on it at the end of his life to ease his pancreatitis and help him gain weight but he hated the taste and it was a constant battle to get it in him. We really should all go easy on antibiotics when possible for the reasons mentioned. When we got it from the emergency vet we were told it is not approved for dogs which means there’s not adequate research on it. I’d be wary of giving it casually. We gave it for a last ditch effort at the end of our boy’s life.

3. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Regular

Feb 6, 2019
    Dogs are so different. The bitter taste of Tylan never bothered my dog. At first I put the powder in the pill pockets. But she’d chew the pill pockets open and spill the powder out. She then would eat all the spilled Tylan powder without any hesitation. So I started just mixing the powder into her kibbles. She never even slowed down eating her food.

To my dog, Tylan is a miracle. And to me, a life saver. I had spent a small fortune treating her soft stool. She’s been tested four times for giardia, all negative. Four weeks of metronidazole, two weeks of amoxicillin, expensive probiotics (some of the probiotics cost me $5 a day), slippery elm supplements, all to no avail. I had to wash her bottom so often and her butt was trimmed like a baboon so that her rear end wouldn’t be constantly stained. My husband and I dreaded the midnight whine from her and the midnight bathing... Only two doses of Tylan firmed up her stool. She was on Tylan for two weeks and has been off the meds for two weeks. But she still has the healthiest stool.

From what I read, Tylan is used as antibiotics for farm animals. The usage on dogs is an off label use of its anti inflammatory property. It is very effective in treating colitis. Unfortunately, some dogs’ symptoms will return once the meds are stopped. So some dogs are on the powder long term. As with any other antibiotics, it should be used cautiously with the prescription from a vet. But I want to say if your dog’s colitis doesn’t respond to any other meds/treatment, give Tylan a try.

Ann likes this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    How much Tylan do you give in a dose, Sunflower? I've always done a tiny pinch as a preventative but I'm curious what the amount is you give to actually treat an issues like you're describing. I'm glad to hear that it helped your pup!

5. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Regular

Feb 6, 2019
    My vet told me to give her 1/8 of a tea spoon twice a day for 14 days.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Ann likes this.