UGH! Puppy class was a DISASTER!

and the trainer who didn't win any brownie points with her attitude.

It wasn't the trainer - she is AWESOME!

I did get a chance to talk to the trainer today - she trains Rally, but has her two dogs enrolled in agility - they got bored with Rally when younger. :) She told me to ignore the owner - she just spurts stuff at times - that what we did last night was just perfect for Deacon. He did well with folks handling him, wasn't frightened by it, warmed up to some, but did go to all and didn't fight anyone to get back at me. He just sort of hung out NEAR some folks and WITH other people. She said as far as the big dogs, Deacon doesn't ever have to play or meet, but that it was good for him to be out of his comfort zone, be exposed to something new, be a bit scared but then figure out he was okay and lived through it. She said yes, a few times he was definitely frightened a bit, but then as class went on, he just sat and watched the dogs. She just told me to give him a comfort zone - last night we all sat on the floor and he was between my legs. She told me to pet him to assure him at first but then once he is settled to just let him hang out with me. He is safe, and he needs to know life can happen around him and he can still be good - he doesn't have to be involved. Not everyone has to be a do-er. She said so long as he isn't beside himself with anxiousness, it's a good thing. And she felt he was just 'chill' most of the night. So I feel much better.

ON a side note, I kept Brodie out of the last session of agility and today was day 1 back - I must say he was incredible today! Got the course right even when I screwed it up. Fast. I think he is ready to do his first competition and see how we work together.
 
I remember Piper’s first puppy class, this trainer had us meet the other puppies first (after she’d evaluated them) outside in a fenced area...all dogs off leash. It was the best and it socialized him so well with other dogs. I should add that she only allowed the smallest dogs to play. Those that were too big played in another area. She also only allowed a small number of dogs (no more than 8 if I recall). If obedience ever opens up here this is where I plan on taking Blueberry...it’s a 40 minute drive but so so worth it!
I remember his first day at level 1 obedience and I was holding him, he was small like Deacon is and the trainer said ‘what are you doing holding your dog??? Put him down! (I was nervous about all the big Shepherds leaving her previous class) She was a bit of a nut but she knew her stuff.
 
Sandy I had a similar experience years ago there when I took Ruffles and one of her littermates and owner to their puppy class. We went once and never went back to it although I’ve trained there since in Obedience and Rally. I hated the way they did puppy classes... not appropriate for sensitive Shelties. I know the owner well too and like her but she is a tough, take no prisoners hound person who perhaps doesn’t get the Sheltie temperament.

In our case I ended up taking Ruffles to Obedience with Jane which was a much better fit and more confidence building.
 
None of the puppy classes that we went to encouraged or really allowed puppy playtime. that should definitely be an optional item as not all breeds play the same or as you've pointed out are the same size at the same age.
definitely let Deacon do it his way and if he was ok with the other people, that's socialization......

Same here. I think one class they allowed 2 puppies in a pen together after the class if the owners wanted a short play session. But never during a class, even puppy. Kis only got to 2 puppy classes before Covid, they were run by ANKC and she was by far the smallest. No playing but the occassional approach and sniff (5 second rule) if the other owner was okay., the trainer did not want to encourage play - it was about getting used to other breeds, train and focus around others and learn to be calm and considerate of all sizes of dogs.

If they will allow you to stand back and just watch that's a good option - although hard for Deacon to watch other dogs play and not get to play himself.
 
wow when I did puppy kinder with Sonic there were alot of big pups. He was not allowed to play with them by the trainer. She put up a divider and allowed smaller dogs on one side and larger pups on the other. Knowing sonic was coming, she had her assistant bring her small dogs to socialize him. On the last day she introduced a hand picked larger pup to try a play time with him and she carefully supervised and removed the other pup when it was getting too excited. That is her general protocol. The big dogs played ROUGH.
 
Back
Top