Undercoat Rake

I use an undercoat rake for the majority of Greyson's grooming, it's definitely a necessity for us! I also have a furminator but the undercoat rake is better, I think the furminator may break his hair.
 
I've always used a shedding rake on my Shelties. I wouldn't be without one. Furminators are not great for Sheltie coats because they break the hair, but you can build another dog with what you'll take out safely with a shedding rake. It only removes the loose undercoat.

I don't use it regularly, but the second they start shedding out it comes and I use it till they're done. For normal, non-shed times I use a pin brush and a slicker with a greyhound comb for line brushing.
 
My under coat rake has a single row of teeth, is there much difference in the effectiveness of the brushing if there are 2 rows of teeth? I was given a V-shaped rake that has 2 rows of teeth but I haven't tried it yet, any feedback on how good they are?
 
I haven't used my Furminator in a long while. But I do use my rake religiously.

I don't start with the rake though. I usually give a quick line brush first just to remove obvious tangles.

From then on I use a bunch of tools interchangeably. Scissors, rake, 35 mm pin brush, slicker, etc. I move back and forth between tools depending on what "challenge" I'm facing.

Butt and Shoulders....Indy always seems to clump up here. So he gets a line brush, then a "try" with the rake or slicker. I also finish though with the rake and then a final line brush.

Ears and head....slicker and scissors and slicker and then final pin brush.

Sides and belly...mostly just my 35 mm brush.
 
My under coat rake has a single row of teeth, is there much difference in the effectiveness of the brushing if there are 2 rows of teeth? I was given a V-shaped rake that has 2 rows of teeth but I haven't tried it yet, any feedback on how good they are?

My shedding rakes all have single rows of teeth too. I've never used one with a double row.
 
I haven't used my Furminator in a long while. But I do use my rake religiously.

I don't start with the rake though. I usually give a quick line brush first just to remove obvious tangles.

From then on I use a bunch of tools interchangeably. Scissors, rake, 35 mm pin brush, slicker, etc. I move back and forth between tools depending on what "challenge" I'm facing.

Butt and Shoulders....Indy always seems to clump up here. So he gets a line brush, then a "try" with the rake or slicker. I also finish though with the rake and then a final line brush.

Ears and head....slicker and scissors and slicker and then final pin brush.

Sides and belly...mostly just my 35 mm brush.

I do much the same, Barb. The pin brush gets out the surface stuff and big tangles. Then I rake like a maniac -- amazing what comes out! :eek2:
 
I haven't used my Furminator in a long while. But I do use my rake religiously.

I don't start with the rake though. I usually give a quick line brush first just to remove obvious tangles.

From then on I use a bunch of tools interchangeably. Scissors, rake, 35 mm pin brush, slicker, etc. I move back and forth between tools depending on what "challenge" I'm facing.

Butt and Shoulders....Indy always seems to clump up here. So he gets a line brush, then a "try" with the rake or slicker. I also finish though with the rake and then a final line brush.

Ears and head....slicker and scissors and slicker and then final pin brush.

Sides and belly...mostly just my 35 mm brush.

What's a "line" brush? Help!
 
Line brushing is a technique used to groom long haired and undercoated dogs, like Shelties.

Rather than just "sweep" a brush over the top of the fur, line brushing gets right to the skin and pulls out dead hair from the undercoat.

Essentially, it means that you start at the top of the back and working in rows, you pin brush or slicker the fur upwards, holding the hair under the brush down with the other hand.

The Illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming by Barb Ross (which I highly recommend) is very particular about the technique but I find I adapt it to each dog and each dog's particular challenges of the moment. It takes time and practice to figure out what works for your dog and you.

Sometimes while I'm stripping out the dead hair, I go down instead of up, but I always finish the grooming sessions with a final upwards brush.
 
I'm glad I found this thread today. I went out yesterday especially looking for Furminator, but came home empty-handed because I couldn't find one. As it turns out... I think a regular undercoat rake sounds like a better way to go.

I love this board!!! (so helpful!!) :biggrin2:
 
Back
Top