Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Vare's Yellow Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Theora, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Well, my suggestion would be to get a second opinion at another clinic. I honestly don't know what is happening with Vare, and maybe it is entirely due to diet, but I think someone really needs to figure out what's happening here. I don't know that I would try the Homeopet - only because you don't know what is going on, and there is always the potential that that can make it worse.

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    One thing you mentioned was “no sign of tumor to indicate IBD”. I want to bring that up because IBD is not a tumor.

It actually requires a GI panel for diagnosis, and even then is a diagnosis of exclusion (nothing else fits). Basically a large number of inflammatory cells is found in the stomach which does not allow for processing and absorption of nutrients.

My dog was diagnosed with this after several serious flare-ups with vomiting, diarrhea, etc. We have managed mostly with diet (he’s doing well on Royal Canin hydrolysed protein) and intermittent steroids if the inflammation gets really bad.

3. Theora

Theora Forums Novice

Aug 21, 2018
    Thank you, corbinam, for bringing up that misinformation. I can't say I'm surprised to have been told something inaccurate, though I am disappointed. After all, when Vare went in for his first appointment, Dr. Luc said he was prescribing a probiotic laced with kaopectate. I received endurosyn, which when I looked around online, does not appear to have anything in common with the anti-diarrhea medication. This just adds onto the reasons that I need to find a different vet.

P.S. On a completely unrelated note, how do I change my profile picture? I've tried changing it, & just get error messages. I've also used the Contact Us function to get help changing it, & no one ever responded.

4. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    You mention a 'really high white cell count'. How high and what kind of white cells?
    This next piece of advice will have my long time Sheltie Forums friends saying 'Who are you and what have you done with Dr. Mac ?' but for chronic GI problems that do not respond to standard meds I have referred people, including one of my techs, to holistic alternative veterinarians. They seem to be particularly good at managing this sort of thing.

Sharon7 likes this.
  5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Wow, heaps of issues. I am so sorry. Make sure you get a copy of all the reports that have been done, as you may need them if you need another vet, or to monitor (and you did pay for them). Do you know how

Firstly, I think it's irresponsible prescribing cottage cheese to a dog with an upset stomach. I'm lactose intolerant, as are dogs, and I can tell you that low fat cottage cheese will cause any number of problems, including colic and diarrhea. I'd also skip the yoghurt, even if you are using lactose free yogurt. I don't see how she could tell anything about his fibre levels from blood tests, but if he has soft poop you need something to firm it up. You could also add psyllium husks (it comes as a powder) and sprinkle it over his food to easily add fibre.

It was very irresponsible of the vet to say it could be an obstruction and then not do anything about it: obstructions can kill. I must say it all seems very confusing. Deska had lots of masses in his colon on an x-ray, but that was because he was backed up with lots of poop, vet said maybe could be obstruction, but we were all pretty sure it was just motility problems. He alternates from constipation to soft poos but has been good lately. I'm sure vets see so many obstructions that it's the first thing they think of but you know your dog best. Sounds to me like you should only book your appointments with Dr Luc and not Dr Rachel.

The ensurosyn, while not an antidiarrhea medication, is still useful for a dog with diarrhea. There was a recent study just in the last week that indicated using probiotics can delay a person re-establishing their own healthy gut bacteria, so damn if you do... At any rate, your hip pocket must be suffering with everything being prescribed.

I am surprised the vet didn't suggest a presciption diet earlier. If Vare's generally tolerating kibble, and his alb levels are down then a prescription liver diet is a good move, or even a sensitive stomach kibble. Not sure what they mean by a bland diet. Just be wary of the ingredients - I was recommended a prescription diet for Deska, who is sensitive to chicken, and guess what all the prescription diets have in them, even the limited ingredient ones. Did they say why they aren't worried about the liver with his Albumin levels? There is a supplement called Densoyl that is specifically for liver issues in dogs (I think it's also called SAMe). It has had excellent results in clinical trials. You could also try Milk Thistle - Ann can give you an idea of how much as she has used it before. But I think Milk thistle can cause the runs.

Elevated WCC and Platelet levels can indicate an infection but it's very ambiguous indicator. How were his Neutrophils (Neut)?

I've had colon cancer and a whole heap of issues resulting from that (plus I was a health executive so of course did lots of research myself). I was put on a low FODMAP diet, which consists of foods that the body can more readily cope with and is commonly used now for humans with IBS. Because it has foods that dogs can tolerate too I decided to put Deska on it for his sensitive stomach. He's being doing great on a low FODMAP diet and his poops have been great (except when he eats crap off the ground). I kept the grains in though as I know he does ok with grains and he does love eating grass and horse feed. You can google FODMAP to get an idea of what it is (Ashley maybe that would help you?).

PS - you can only have a profile picture if you are a premium member. Sorry we didn't get your message through Contact Us - will look into it.