Visiting litters

I think it would be wise to look at your propective pup with correct structure in mind. If you are thinking of doing any dog sport, even for fun, you want a dog that won't break down. If you were born with bad knees, and wanted to play tennis with all your friends, but it hurt everytime you tried, you would quit. Go on line or to the the books, and read about stucture. Familiarize yourself with what you need to look at, when seeing the puppies. Explain to the breeder your goals, even if it is agility just for fun, and if they are a reputable breeder they will be honest about what they have. That would be, no straight fronts.......no shock absorbtion when landing from jumping. Not cow hawked in the rear.......to be able to push off when climbing the A frame. Not down in the pasterns.........hard on the tendons when running fast.

That's also great advice.....know what you are looking for! And don't be afraid to ask the tough questions!
 
I would suggest visiting more than one breeder if you can. When we first started looking for our sheltie. We only found one breeder that had a litter available when we were looking. We contacted her, and got on her wait list. She had 3 male puppies available for companion homes, and we were second in line for selection. When we got the chance to visit, we only had two to choose from, and the one we were eying from the pictures was already selected. The two we had to choose from were polar opposites. One was a crazy little hyper guy that was already into humping things (he got my wifes leg a couple times!) and the other was pretty laid back. However, the breeder was very honest, and told us that when he was about 2 weeks old, his mom stepped on him, and that he was about a week behind developmentally (also, he might have been a little hard of hearing!). We were pretty dissappointed, but happy she was very honest with us.

She then suggested we contact one of her friends who also had a litter of shelties just about the same age, and gave us her contact info. We contacted the new breeder, and talked with her a bit, telling her what we were looking for (we were looking for a companion dog, that would also be a companion for our Golden). When we went to meet the puppies, she showed us the 3 boys she had available, as soon as we saw them, I conciously picked one of the puppies and said I want him... The breeder went through each of the puppies, and described each puppies temperment, etc. She finally got to the guy I liked, and said "this is the puppy I think will best match what you are looking for!" And that's who we ended up going home with...

It's funny how things work out... My wife and I had our hearts set on a Sable and White, but somehow we found our perfect little guy, who happens to be a Blue Merle, and I can't see it any other way now...

Definately go see more than one litter, and don't settle for a puppy you sorta like just because that's all that's available at the time. A good breeder will want to find the best possible home for their puppies, and will want to match that puppy with a family that best suits the puppy and the family.

Good luck!
 
With Che we were allowed a pick of the litter and choose our boy using Volhard testing for the middle pup- not too this and not too that. I was hoping to do agility so correct structure was important to me. My observation at agility trials is such that even if you do not know what cow hocks are and correct angulation angle- you will see good moving pup and recognize as such. Good moving pup will have that easy trot even as baby and presence of the body- there will be nothing sloppy about him/ her. Best pups are usually " together" through all their growth stages.
Che moves like a thoroughbred horse and was since he was a puppy. Puppy that built correctly will have longer wear of his body thus less injuries and longer life without arthritis. I am not saying that pup with some imperfections will not grow up to be a good athlete. Right nutrition and plenty of exercise during puppy development will do a lot towards overcoming even such tough problems as hip dysplasia. Bone problem with hip dysplasia is only about 40% of the issue for example so one can do a lot towards building strong muscles and structure.
But I prefer to have a clean plate to begin with and if you have so many choices and expect to pay pretty $$$ why not?
When we were looking for Leo we went to see several litters. As Barb says it is dangerous as one tends to fall in love with every puppy you see:smile2:
I would encourage you to go and see as many litters as you can, spend some time just observing how they run how they play... you might end up making few breeders unhappy and I find uncomfortable to say " thanks but no thanks" but after owning your present dogs I am sure you have a very clear picture in your mind what are you looking for - what kind of dog will have best fit in your family, what kind of energy, temperament...
I found that is is also good to visit breeders that do not have currently puppies avail, just by seeing their dogs and evaluating situation you can get a good feel what you might expect.
and yeah, we drove 11 hrs one way to get Leo:rolleyes2:
 
I agree, check out everything! The lady that just got one of my puppies had visited a few litters, she didn't even bring her checkbook so she wouldn't impulse buy a puppy. :smile2: Oops. She drove all the way home to get her checkbook, and all the way back that day. So absolutely, go and visit. What's the worst that can happen? Puppy play time? :biggrin2:
 
I would suggest looking at every possible breeder (although it is time consuming). :biggrin2:

Well here in Singapore, I checked out some sheltie breeders. One had a litter of puppies, but we did not get to see the mother as they said she was resting, unable to walk and "feeding the runt of the litter". We did found him suspicious as the mother is always able to walk immediately right after birth. So, in the end, we didn't get anything from him.

We sourced the web and found another breeder, but he wasn't that reputable too. In fact, there were many doubts on him. In the end, we were left with two breeders, who are most likely having litters at the end of this year (breeder 2) and early next month (breeder 1). So far we have only seen breeder 1's pups (from his earlier litter of another female), but we did not get to interact with the puppies. We have seen breeder 2's dam and sire, and played with them, and they are of a nice temperament, especially the dam. :smile2: So we are contemplating between both, but most likely we will try to get one from breeder 1.

Conclusion: Check every possible breeder, and nail them down all the way until you get the best possible breeders, then visit them, and check the temperament of the parents, and get the pup from the parents with better temperament! Usually pups with daddy and mommies of good temperaments will be nice themselves :)

Well, that's my personal opinion! I'm sourcing for sheltie babies myself too! hahaha :D
 
Oooooh, I didn't know you were looking for another Sheltie, Ashley! Oh my, the torture of looking at Sheltie puppies! :wink2:

When we got our first Sheltie Skye I did look at a couple of breeders and saw some that just didn't feel right (even tho all were CUTE).

When we saw Skye's litter I zoomed in on her immediately, and the rest was history. We had her 15 precious years. She remains in our hearts, "Best of Dog".

Good luck and I can hardly wait to hear all about it!

Sharon
 
Oooooh, I didn't know you were looking for another Sheltie, Ashley! Oh my, the torture of looking at Sheltie puppies! :wink2:

When we got our first Sheltie Skye I did look at a couple of breeders and saw some that just didn't feel right (even tho all were CUTE).

When we saw Skye's litter I zoomed in on her immediately, and the rest was history. We had her 15 precious years. She remains in our hearts, "Best of Dog".

Good luck and I can hardly wait to hear all about it!

Sharon

Oh no no no! This thread was started pre-Lexi! A third sheltie won't be in the works for another year...or 10, if my husband has anything to say about it! :lol:
 
Oh no no no! This thread was started pre-Lexi! A third sheltie won't be in the works for another year...or 10, if my husband has anything to say about it! :lol:

thanks for setting us straight- must admit that I did not check the date of the first post :winkgrin::yes:
 
Back
Top