vomitting trifexis

i have to treat for fleas with something... last year we had a really bad infestation and there were no animals living in the house.

also - was looking up spinosad, and it appears it is a natural compound for controlling insects...? idk.
 
Last edited:
spinosad overview

for anyone who is interested in more about spinosad, i found a pretty nice overview of it: http://web.pppmb.cals.cornell.edu/resourceguide/mfs/13spinosad.php

it is essentially an organic insecticide that is used to treat fleas in dogs.

i am still not sure about spreading out the dosage of the heartworm preventative.

vet did recommend trifexis, since it was cheaper than heartguard + comfortis.

but then heartguard + DE is probably even cheaper than trifexis...
 
for anyone who is interested in more about spinosad, i found a pretty nice overview of it: http://web.pppmb.cals.cornell.edu/resourceguide/mfs/13spinosad.php

it is essentially an organic insecticide that is used to treat fleas in dogs.

i am still not sure about spreading out the dosage of the heartworm preventative.

vet did recommend trifexis, since it was cheaper than heartguard + comfortis.

but then heartguard + DE is probably even cheaper than trifexis...

I have heard about them, but haven't researched it too much b/c what I'm using works right now. I read on there that they are very toxic to bees, and I love the bees, so I'd have to have bad fleas to use it if that's true. I've also heard they're expensive.

One thing to remember is while it might be cheaper now to apply the chemicals, it might catch up with you health-wise later b/c flea medicines are linked to lots of long-term illnesses. The body can only handled so many repeated toxins for so many years. Here's an interesting article that discusses long-term effects from one of my favorite websites:

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/pestcontrol.htm
 
I did not use the oil on the cats since they did not have any fleas on them, but I certainly used it around them and it didn't kill them. :lol: lol. Although the fleas wouldn't hope on them either. So they are pretty hardy:). You may want to check a more reliable source!!;)
 
I did not use the oil on the cats since they did not have any fleas on them, but I certainly used it around them and it didn't kill them. :lol: lol. Although the fleas wouldn't hope on them either. So they are pretty hardy:). You may want to check a more reliable source!!;)

Lots of oils are very toxic to cats when applied. Problem is, cats hate having things on their fur and tend to lick it off, therefor ingesting the oils. Whereas dogs tend to shake it off and that's it. It's not safe to use neem oil, which is a leaf, directly applied to them. Ceder Oil is risky too for them. I have to make it in a tea and pour the rinse over here. It's not about a reliable source or not, it's about an understanding of natural oils which takes some time and reading, for sure.

Also, being a college graduate and writing many research papers, it's pretty easy for me to tell when a source is credible! It's easy to find out if said doctor went to such and such school they're claiming to have graduated from, usually easy to look up the lab studies that have been done to test the things being proclaimed -- honestly, with the internet search engines, there's no reason anyone should get fooled these days. I'm not over here getting my information from Faux news :) I'm fully capable of determining a reliable source.
 
Last edited:
If this isn't coincidence I don't know what is! I was just on Apartment Therapy and found this:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/essential-knowledge-for-cat-ow-58072

Yikes! I'm not taking my chances. I found many other articles saying some oils are toxic. I could dig deeper to find out how they came about this conclusion, but I don't feel the need to because it makes sense in that cats ingest them. I'm sure it is safe to put them on the dog in a house with cats b/c how often do you find the cat licking the dog? LOL

Anyway, not a cat forum, but misinformation like this can be dangerous so do your research before you treat your cats and make an informed decision.
 
Last edited:
some dogs will lick themselves, too. especially shelties (mine does anyway). having more than one dog could pose a problem as well if they tend to chew on each other.
 
I personally rarely use an essential oil full strength on the skin. I mean, there's only a few that are even recommended to go on full strength. They're very highly concentrated! I dilute my neem oil with water vinegar and I did put neem oil directly on the dog with fungus, and it cleared it up, but he's more of an extreme case in that we'd tried everything and finally were at a last resort kind of thing. They're a wonderful thing, but you do have to researched it a little bit beforehand b/c their potency is so strong.
 
I just read this warning from my breeder's yahoo group.

Whatever you do...DON'T GIVE YOUR DOGS TRIFEXIS. HEARTWORM MED.. My Jack is in the hospital..we tried trifexis for the first time yesterday (his interceptor has been off the market). and by 8 pm symptoms started...I had to take him in at 7 am..lethargy..confusion..tremors with a twitch every 15 seconds..no appetite..he looks like he's on an acid trip..his gut is drawn up...all symptomatic of poisoning..vet called company ...they admit some problems..will pay for blood panels on internal organs for toxicity reports but won't pay for rest of treatment...so many people will be trying this drug due to not being able to get the discontinued interceptor or sentinel...tell all your dog friends... NO TRIFEXIS...EVER !
 
Back
Top