Warm up and Cool Down Routines

cmae

Forums Enthusiast
Warming up our dogs.. something I think is very much overlooked in dog sports, and I'm guilty of it too. I attended a conditioning and body mechanics seminar in the winter and have been trying to do a better job of keeping my dog warm and conditioning him on 'off' days. Was just wondering what everyone else does for warm ups and cool downs? Here is our routine:


  • Before leaving, a 20 min walk around the block
  • Back on Track coat goes on, and in the car we go
  • Arrive at destination - coat comes off, and we do some circle work. 10 mins of walking then 10 mins of jogging (I am jogging, Cruz is trotting :wink2:)
  • Rights and lefts to get his side muscles stretched out and his brain thinking
  • One jump work - usually wraps
  • If there is still some time before we run, the coat goes back on and he goes in his crate. OR more walking.. just need to keep muscles warm!

Cooldowns are much shorter - game of tug to celebrate then another 5-10 mins of walking before coat goes on again. Usually there is a big chunk or time in between runs at a trial, so this will all be repeated again starting from circle work. A total of 20-30 mins for a 30-40 second run :eek2:. Lots of work but worth it if it will help minimize injury.
 
Thanks a million for posting this. I have never had a set warm up routine but I think I will follow this one. I'll have to get Simba a back on track coat soon. I have heard so many good things about them. I'll use this routine at our competition this weekend :smile2:
 
Unfortunately I don't have much of a warm up routine because I'm using working the ring up until my class runs and then we're normally one of the first dogs in.

Normally the routine, if there's time, involves walking back and forth near the ring, right and left wraps on the practice jump, and stretching out the hind leg and back muscles but having him put his front feet on my leg and reaching up for a treat.

When my dogs aren't running, my 9 year olds have their Back on Track jackets on. I haven't purchased one for Keiran yet because he's only just started running in trials. He'll get one later this year.

Outside of trials, We've started doing Canine Conditioning. Keiran absolutely loves it. The older two aren't so sure but will do anything for food. :lol: I've started taking a K9 FitBone to trials with me mostly to work with Keiran since he spends most of the day crated while the other two play. I've learned from watching Keiran develop that conditioning is just as important as training.
 
Good post! My warm-up routine with Merlin has developed over the years, with Sparrow its still a work in progress as she doesn't sit still for muscle stretches yet!

So here is what I do:

-On arrival go to the exercise area, run the dogs around 10-15 mins and hopefully they toilet too. Back in the car, Sparrow wearing one of her fleece coats if necessary.

Merlin's warm-up
-Usually a fair walk from car to venue, giving him a chance to stretch his legs and making sure he gets opportunities to pee. Vary the speed from a walk to a run.
-Front leg stretches. First bending the paw at the wrist and and holding against the leg for 5 seconds, then stretching out the leg gently for 5 seconds.
-Neck stretches (Important for Merlin as he has an old neck injury), use a treat to lure his head around to the right (5 secs) then to the left (5 secs)
-Ask for a 'beg' and have him hold for 5 secs to stretch spine.
-Ask for a 'bow' and have him hold for 5 secs to stretch spine.
-Left and right spins to warm up muscles.
-Quick massage of shoulders and lower back and hind leg muscles to stimulate the blood circulation.
-After run, walk back to car briskly.

I am still trying to teach him to accept having his back legs stretched out, but he doesn't like his rear paws/legs being handled.

I do some of the stretches with Sparrow, but she wriggles so much that getting her to hold things for even 5 seconds is hard!:lol:

I have found since doing warm-ups with Merlin on a regular basis that he is much freer in his movement. I also give him canine massage at home to keep him in good shape.

Oh, and don't forget to warm up yourself! I forget all the time and a month ago I hurt my hip! Now I try to remember to do various leg and torso stretches before each run:wink2:
 
Back
Top