Weave Poles

Sharon

Forums Sage
Has anyone that has a young dog do agility training the Susan Garett method of weaves 2x2 in 12 days or channel weaves? I have not yet started the weave poles with Sting yet as he is to young to do them yet. That will be the last thing I teach.I was wondering if anyone that has done them Susan's way what were your thoughts?
 
I'm getting the DVD on it this coming week. I'm really excited to give it a try. It seems like this method really works. A friend was at the Gem City show last week with her new agility dog, who had only been weaving for a month, and she already had her weaving pretty near perfect. She went through them accurately and with speed... a complete opposite of what I've come to expect from young novice dogs.
The channels are what I used to train Athena for the weaves. It's taken her quite a bit of time to get really proficient with them, but I like the channels better still than the wams.
 
What is the Susan Garett method? I'm teaching Cadbury using the channel method, because he's a lab and not allowed to weave properly until over a year, I was also told that it made them faster at weaves than luring them in and out.

But I always like to hear about different methods :smile2:
 
The club I train at uses channel weaves. Considering Edan is my first dog, I have very little to compare the method with. Edan seems to be picking it up quickly, including angled entrances.
 
I used the channel weaves originally for my small sheltie - and she just walked through the middle of them - no need to weave at all when you are small. The bigger dogs did okay but all of us with smaller dogs switched to guides.

Haven't seen Susan Garrets method but I will ask the instructors tonight to show me (I know one of them went to her training seminar recently) - I'm interested in anything. My male is bigger and picked up the weaves readily but for some reason my little girl is having great difficulty getting a rythmn.

OT. Last week we worked and worked at the A-Frame and Tully is back on it. She backed down the first few attempts but eventually went over - altho we are still not quite back at comp height. I think part of the prob may be she loses sight of me at the top.
 
Has anyone that has a young dog do agility training the Susan Garett method of weaves 2x2 in 12 days or channel weaves? I have not yet started the weave poles with Sting yet as he is to young to do them yet. That will be the last thing I teach.I was wondering if anyone that has done them Susan's way what were your thoughts?

I just started the 2x2s as retraining Rah and Kit who is just starting but had been previously shaped to do poles with the clicker. I like them now that we're out of the first stage, the first stage confused me with why we want them to blast thru the poles instead of weaving, but it makes more sense now.
 
Back
Top