Rescue continues to be very busy. We take them in but not that many go out... It's the same thing every year. As soon as school starts and the families return from their summer vacations that's when they look to getting a family pet. So summer time is usually a tremendous strain on us and our budget.
We took in six this weekend alone. These are the two that are staying with me.
Dillon was picked up at our local shelter. They had him listed as a collie and he almost slipped through the cracks! Luckily Barb and I work with collie rescue too. I took one look at that dog's picture and said uh uh, that's not a collie that's a sheltie. So to be sure I drove over to the shelter and put my eyes on him. Sure enough he weighed 26 pounds and was NOT a collie! He's doing well, though anything we get out of that shelter ends up with kennel cough and he's got a real bad case of it so I have to keep him isolated from the pack. Even though my dogs and all of my fosters have been inoculated with the Bordatella vaccine they can still get sick. So far so good and he's being a trooper about not being able to run and play with the other dogs...He's a real nice boy..
Little Lucky is an owner turn in. Seems he just can't tolerate kids running screaming and playing around him.. He's five years old and has snapped at the children when they tease him (ya think!!!) The family has two teenage children, a two year old and mom is expecting in a couple of months.. so out goes the dog.. PPFFFT on them it's their loss and our gain. Lucky is a tiny little thing. He only weighs 11 pounds and is about the same size as my Lacey-Lou. He's shy and scared and hasn't been socialized at all. But the little tyke will learn fast with my pack.
I'm hoping we get some really good applications soon. We are bursting at the seams with good deserving little fellows and girls... Everyone keep your fingers and paws crossed!
Hugs
Judy and the Rescue Squad
We took in six this weekend alone. These are the two that are staying with me.
Dillon was picked up at our local shelter. They had him listed as a collie and he almost slipped through the cracks! Luckily Barb and I work with collie rescue too. I took one look at that dog's picture and said uh uh, that's not a collie that's a sheltie. So to be sure I drove over to the shelter and put my eyes on him. Sure enough he weighed 26 pounds and was NOT a collie! He's doing well, though anything we get out of that shelter ends up with kennel cough and he's got a real bad case of it so I have to keep him isolated from the pack. Even though my dogs and all of my fosters have been inoculated with the Bordatella vaccine they can still get sick. So far so good and he's being a trooper about not being able to run and play with the other dogs...He's a real nice boy..
Little Lucky is an owner turn in. Seems he just can't tolerate kids running screaming and playing around him.. He's five years old and has snapped at the children when they tease him (ya think!!!) The family has two teenage children, a two year old and mom is expecting in a couple of months.. so out goes the dog.. PPFFFT on them it's their loss and our gain. Lucky is a tiny little thing. He only weighs 11 pounds and is about the same size as my Lacey-Lou. He's shy and scared and hasn't been socialized at all. But the little tyke will learn fast with my pack.
I'm hoping we get some really good applications soon. We are bursting at the seams with good deserving little fellows and girls... Everyone keep your fingers and paws crossed!
Hugs
Judy and the Rescue Squad
Again, I don't understand why somebody would throw away a perfectly good dog.
I would never move anywhere unless my animals were allowed to come with me. I did a move up here originally with 3 cats and 2 dogs!! The woman originally did not want animals but with references and talk I convinced her to allow us to move in and she has allowed responsible owner pets since.
The woman who allows her kids to tease and holler around poor Lucky, I'd bite them too !