What a learning experience (first practice trial)

Sounds like you learned a lot of very valuable information! You also have a woderful attitude and are having fun with Koji! Cannot wait to hear how your first trial goes! I went to my first NADAC trial two weeks ago, to watch. It is different than the other trials I've seen. From what I've been told, and someone can correct me if I am wrong on this, that NADAC sets their obstacles with much more room inbetween, so for some it is easier to navigate. I may have heard wrong. But either way - GOOD LUCK!!!!!

I did feel like in the Jumpers course things were VERY tight. Seriously, the jumps were about 6 feet apart (or less). Is that normal? Seemed tight to me.
 
As I walked out of the ring my friend who was stewarding chuckled "that dog can read, too bad the handler can't":o

Good luck at you NADAC trial. Just remember its always a good day if you spend it with your dog.

I love the title of one of Greg Derritts (is that his last name?) videos. Great dog! Shame about the handler. So whenever I screw up, that's what my instructor yells at me...."GREAT DOG! Shame about the hander" and I just crack up.

BTW, I did try my hand at Rally-O. It seemed so GREAT to have instructions, right there in front of me. My Rally instructor actually thought I was awesome (not so much the dog) and I said, "well, I have instructions and I'm going so slow I have time to read it." So, I take it that's not so? lol. Thanks for the story. Trust me, I was so lost on my first run.
 
I almost got lost at our rally trial- did the 360 and was a little dizzy- luckily the next sign was straight in front of us so we did ok :smile2:
I'm not sure that I could do agility- seems lots more complicated :wink2:

Oh gawd. I forgot about that. My instructor (rally) had us do what I call the paperclip (the cones) then we did 360 and 180 and I was so dizzy. lol That'll definitely make me lose track of where I am.
 
but I do know that in NADAC if you have a fast dog the courses are wide open and you have to run like heck.That is where distant handling saves me .

Oh gawd. Kill me now. Seriously, I am so out of shape. I either need to start running or Koji needs to learn distance work NOW! lol
 
As I've learned in starters, at least, trials are all about learning what you need to work on, what you've improved on, etc. It's so much fun, and also funny (as long as you have a good sense of humor, and it sounds like you do!) And don't worry about getting lost. I think it's happened to everyone.

Good luck at the upcoming trial!

Oh trust me. It really showed all the "flaws". lol. Like the chute, more A-frame work, and maybe just a tad speed on the walk (he was going so slow....but I saw an older dog going even slower!). I was surprised of all the things he did take even w/o seeing them before (triple jump as someone called it and the broad jump that he's worked on once before). And he did so well with my rear crosses. sniff sniff. i'm so proud
 
Wow! Six runs on the first time out is A LOT of work for any dog, but it sounds like your Koji handled it like a champ and had lot of fun.

Nothing is a more valuable teacher than experience. It's great that the person running the trial let you put him back on the teeter and guided it down for you. That is one of the more difficult obstacles to master. (Edan still is hit and miss with the teeter; some days he loves it others not so much.)

If I remember right, NADAC does allow training on the course though it disqualifies you from Qs or placing. I'd have to go back to the rules to check my memory. If that's the case, that really makes it one of the better places to get started in the sport.

No matter what happens, always have fun with your dog! :winkgrin: If the fun stops, it's just not worth it any more.

Congrats on a great first outing and I can't wait to hear how you do in your 1st trial.

So, 6 was a bit much, huh? Actually, what made it worse was that I had to keep running them almost within 10 minutes of each other, then had a hour or so down time. I looked at my NADAC schedule. It's kinda full too. But at least it's spread over 2 days. ;) I'll have more time to get him comfy with his surroundings. And obviously, I'll need very high value treats so he concentrates on me (for the end, not during the run), not everyone else.

And I wasn't expecting the lady to help me, but I was so glad. 1. because I didn't want Koji to be afraid of the teeter, which he seemed to be when it slammed by ignoring me and it. and 2. so it helps him know that the teeter is OK and not so scary. I was grateful. Ditto with the chute.
 
A video of Round 2 Jumpers

I only got one video up so far, but here's his best one. Do you SEE ALL THE eXTRA jumps and weaves!! AUGH!! lol.

http://vimeo.com/7387952


I forgot to add.....there was a photographer there. I cant wait to see if she got any decent photos of Koji! :)
 
Last edited:
I like the video! You are doing well it looks like to me. Cannot wait to see and hear how you do at the NADAC trials. :smile2:
 
Oh gawd. I forgot about that. My instructor (rally) had us do what I call the paperclip (the cones) then we did 360 and 180 and I was so dizzy. lol That'll definitely make me lose track of where I am.

we've set up some practice rally courses with the spiral (around all the cones 3x spiralling), 360, 270 and 180- everyone said they were dizzy. it does help to reverse the direction occasionally :wink2: I definitely need signs :yes:
 
Back
Top