Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What Are Your Top Criteria for Choosing a Puppy?

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Chris, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    a puppy cuter than Annabelle:eek2:- no such thing:winkgrin:

Chris likes this.
  2. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    I found Lucky next door to my sister who was having a bridal shower, Lucky was the shower prize. He wasn't the one standing
    in the corner nor he was not the one who was nippy. Lucky came over to me with love and kisses.

Lil' Lady, it was my birthday and I found a card that stated to the Birthday Fairy, and I had her picture inside. I fell in love with
    her from a picture and she was a great match when we met. She was so funny, Lil' Lady was left out and she took a pee on the
    rug, came over to me to say, take me home and get me out of here. All 3 lbs and 6 oz of her.

Both Lucky and Lil' Lady came from great lines of shelties, and the lines were never inbred. I check the teeth, no over bites, attitude.
    What did the breeder feed them? Both of them were the joy of our lives, I was so honored to have the greatest shelties.
    Lucky and Lil' Lady (the Royal Highness) so intelligent. I swear they understood sentences. Lucky knew when I spelled O U T.
    Our vets were so pleased with them both as puppies and complimented them.

The one thing I was pleased with, was the question: Did you visit another kennel? If you did please take off your shoes because
    of contamination from that kennel, mostly because of Parvo. Lots of respect for that question.

Chris likes this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I was looking for show quality, high drive so left it in the hand of the breeder, not expecting a pup for a while. In the meantime I drove to Sydney one day and met a breeder in a service station with a hand-reared puppy in tow. The puppy crawled into my lap, snuggled under my chin and didn't want to go back to the breeder. And he didn't, he came home with me.

If I had selected Tully - I wouldn't. She was ugly, timid and had no interest in me (or Deska). She didn't want to be picked up and howled the short drive home. But the breeder assured me she was the right choice. The next 5 months was proving the breeder wrong: But the next 11 years proved her right. I will go for a high-drive, show quality bitch again. The rest of the personality I can shape.

I should mention Sheltie health tests are limited here - basically only CEA if they are show quality. I would very highly regard a breeder who hip/elbow tested, esp given the joint problems I've had with both dogs and I've seen in other Shelties.

Chris likes this.