What food bowl to use

Caro

Moderator
Deksa has an extra long nose with about an inch distance between his mouth and the tip of his nose. This means he has trouble eating out of a dog bowl. Dry food is okay but moist food he takes a very long time to eat and really seems to struggle. I have raised it about an inch off the ground (mainly to keep his mane out of the bowl). When he drinks he drinks on the edge of the water bowl with his nose over one side of the rim and his mouth on the other.

Does anyone else have similar difficulties? What sort of bowl do you feed from?

Picture of Deska's nose
 

Attachments

  • D nose.jpg
    D nose.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I use a a set called Healthy Diner from Petsmart. I don't have the problem between nose and mouth, but the height raises, and the bowls are stainless steel for easy cleaning too.

Great looking sheltie!
 
*Caro: I usually just use the water bottle with holes in it that you told us about to feed dry dog food to my dog. He gets other treats (usually meat) for training. He likes to play with the water bottle off and on all day, and acts like it's a toy. Hope you find something that works for you.
 
When Treader was fed kibble, I had bought him a small cat dish. It was wide, low-rimmed, and rather small. Even when I filled it up completely (which wasn't very much), he'd only eat half of it every time.
 
Ariel's bowls are ceramic but sit in a little holder about 2 inches off the ground. I think they may be cat bowls as they're not very deep.

I really like those stainless cat dishes though...
 
My pup (4 1\2 months) will not take the time to EAT! She wants to play play and play some more! She will not play with the water bottle cut or the blue cube for feeding that I BOUGHT! She just wants me to throw her pieces 3-4 at a time! I am not willing to do that anymore! I really want her to eat independently!

*Caro: I usually just use the water bottle with holes in it that you told us about to feed dry dog food to my dog. He gets other treats (usually meat) for training. He likes to play with the water bottle off and on all day, and acts like it's a toy. Hope you find something that works for you.
 
I love the idea of the cat bowls. I have been looking for a shallow bottomed bowl for Deska.
 
I got a shallow (human) bowl for Deska yesterday as i couldnt find a shallow cat bowl. And I propped up his bowl another inch higher and put some nonslip matting underneath. That seemed to work really well and he finished his dinner at the same time as Tully. Thats a nice change as Tully has been pinching food out of Deska's bowl lately because she finishes so much earlier.

Soon I will prob be wishing he would slow down, but at least now he can breathe when he eats and not wear food around his mane.

Thanks crystal - I still use the water bottle in the morning or hide the kibble. Atho Tully has been pinching Deska's water bottle lately too and hiding the kibble at least gives Deska an even chance.
 
Back
Top