What kind of collar?

Yep, I popped in....did you say collars???? Well, let me chime in....:lol:

Definitely yes on the martingales....go for as narrow a band as you can find. Our Shelties don't need a 1 inch wide collar. Keep it below 1/2" and round instead of flat. Fit is very important as well. Too loose and they can still slip. Too tight, and now you've got a choke collar.

I used an adjustable martingale until my boys had grown to full size. Then I bought our forum favourite custom collars by Leashes by Design. Not cheap by worth it. Braided leather and very fine but strong...but not adjustable...that's why you wait till they are grown.

Oh dear, am I ranting again? Ok...just search on Leashes by Design....you should find all you need on martingales of every make....

Off my podium now! :wink2::o
.

I knew you would post about martingales! Best advice I ever got. They are great! Sandstorm pulled out of a regular colllar once and will never wear one again. He still wears adjustable ones though. How much did you spend for your leather one? Sandstorm wears a flat one, it does get caught in his rough, which I don't like- is this why you use the round?
Thanks,
Karen
 
.

I knew you would post about martingales! Best advice I ever got. They are great! Sandstorm pulled out of a regular colllar once and will never wear one again. He still wears adjustable ones though. How much did you spend for your leather one? Sandstorm wears a flat one, it does get caught in his rough, which I don't like- is this why you use the round?
Thanks,
Karen

Shelties don't need heavy collars. My martingale's are 1/4" (I think?) thick braided leather. And the chain the same thickness. Very fine. Does not get caught in the ruff, nor flatten the ruff. It just settles in. I can leave these collars on the dogs 24 x 7. Which means when the evil doorbell rings, I've got something to grab on to in case one of the boys try to do a breakaway.

For these designs though, you can't have them this fine and also adjustable so you must wait until pup is full grown and size it to fit. I think each collar was about $50, but it was 1.5 years ago, so I don't really remember exactly.

I did find some links for round, leather martingales that were adjustable, but they were alot heavier than was necesary.

btw - on another thread tonight, I posted pictures of my collars....
 
Back
Top