What to use!

Megansmom

Forums Sage
Thankfully there are QUITE as many heart worm, flea and tick preventative meds to chose from, but there are some that are better than others! We used Sentinel since Megan was a pup and then with Toby also. We all know Novartis is temporarily shut down in one way or another so we can't use that one. We switched to Trifexis, however I am becoming a little concerned based on what I have read here :hide.

What does everyone else use?? :biggrin2:
 
I would love to hear everyone's input as well. Missy has only taken one dose of Trifexis, but after reading a couple threads here... I'm not sure if that's the right choice. The vet recommended it.

I've used Revolution on my cat before. I really liked it because it's alcohol based and doesn't leave an oily reside. And it worked great! I guess I didn't consider it because I didn't think it took care heartworms too.. but it looks like it does. Does a topical heartworm medication work just as good as an oral medication?
 
I would love to hear everyone's input as well. Missy has only taken one dose of Trifexis, but after reading a couple threads here... I'm not sure if that's the right choice. The vet recommended it.

I've used Revolution on my cat before. I really liked it because it's alcohol based and doesn't leave an oily reside. And it worked great! I guess I didn't consider it because I didn't think it took care heartworms too.. but it looks like it does. Does a topical heartworm medication work just as good as an oral medication?


Yeah and I would prefer just to give one pill or chewable a month to cover most everything.
 
I use Revolution currently on Daisy, and did for years with AnnaBelle. Never had any issues...it works great. Here is Texas heartworm is a big problem, and I like having to remember only one medication a month.
 
Last edited:
I use Revolution currently on Daisy, and did for years with AnnaBelle. Never had any issues...it works great. Here is Texas heartworm is a big problem, and I like having to remember only one medication a month.


I like the sound of Revolution...and you're absolutely right about Texas having a high incident of heart worm.
 
Revolution seems like a good choice, given that where you are, fleas and heartworms are pretty much a year-round problem, so an all-in-one makes perfect sense. I originally chose Sentinel because I really wanted to stick with the milbemycin oxime, and I really liked having one pill take care of both fleas and heartworm--much easier to remember just one pill than two. However, when it came time to reorder, I decided that it might be easier on Lerwick's system to break the meds up, and dose him for heartworm at the beginning of the month, and then do a topical flea/tick later in the month, which is why I "downgraded" to the plain Interceptor, and now use Frontline Plus for flea/tick.

Turns out that was a wise decision on my part, though not for any reason I had actually been considering. Sentinel was great with fleas, but this spring we discovered, it isn't the fleas we have to watch out for Lerwick... it's ticks! Sentinel doesn't guard against ticks, so I'd have had to find an additional tick medication anyway. I'm lucky in that TN isn't a high-risk state for Lyme... and of the 5 ticks we've found on him, all have been the lesser-evil dog tick... but still. Freaked me out plenty anyway. The problem for us is that we've got a cat, so some of the more effective "kills them immediately" type preventative/repellants are not options for us, as they are highly toxic to kitties.

I will have to consider switching heartworm meds when my current supply runs out in November, if Novartis hasn't gotten its act together by then. :rolleyes2: Looking at the Revolution website, I see it guards against dog ticks as well as fleas, so I may be making a switch to Revolution when the current meds run out, too!
 
We started using Trifexis this year too and I've been really happy with it. No adverse reactions and no problems with fleas since using it. Plus its really convenient that it treats heartworm too.

My vet too recommended giving it to them with food.

My vet is against the use of the majority of the topicals, theres only a select few that she recommends. Trifexis being one of them. She feels that the chemicals in many topicals are just too toxic.

I did do some research online about Trifexis. The fact of the matter is, there are horror stories and the potential for an adverse reaction with every drug. You just have to look at your dog/situation and weigh out your options.

What I found in my reading was that the 'reactions' that people documented were exactly what the drug warns about in its facts sheet and almost never resulted in deaths. Deaths only seemed to occur in dogs that were not well in the first place and the drug company did not experience any deaths in their testing, unlike with some other topicals.

I also noticed that people were still giving their dogs the drug after they'd experienced an adverse reaction, which is just not using common sense.
 
Olive was started on Trifexis at her foster home and we've kept her on it. It didn't seem to upset her stomach at all (we do give it with a meal) and the vet seemed pleased with it- she did suggest the 6-month shot but I had read about several deaths from it, I thought it best to keep Olive on what worked.

Olive did have a flea problem (looking at what was prescribed at her first vet visit, it was probably pretty bad) but there hasn't been a problem since we've taken her home so it at least keeps the fleas away.
 
Back
Top