When did your pup get free range when you were gone?

So I went to the grocery store today and tried leaving him out.
the webcam was up.....poor guy was NOT happy.
howling and barking.
came back and put him in the kitchen and actually went to the store. He was just as unhappy.
lasted about 5 minutes, then he just went to his bed and went to sleep.

this is gonna be a process :(

i should add, this was 30 min after we got back from a 90 min hike, so he should have been sleepy.
 
I give Teddy run of the first floor of the house. My wife's cats have most of their stuff on the second floor. So we always have a gate at the bottom of the stairs.
But I'm home most of the time and he goes with me 90% of the time if I leave. So he is not home alone that long. When he is, he usually jumps into my recliner and goes to sleep.
 
.
I do frequently have to close the doggie dog shut so they can't get out during coyote season if I'm not here. Odds are its fine-- but thats for my peace of mind--when you've had your dog's neck in a coyote's mouth once and had one jump your fence and come at you on a different occasion, I figure they can stay inside for a few hours while I'm gone!
I too worry about coyotes and hopefully not Mt lions. I have a 5 foot plus chain link fence but I would never leave mine without access to the doggy door so they could escape. But still i do worry about that..we have had several dogs snatched off their front lawns by coyotes -- in front of their owners.. If that ever happened to me it would finish off what is left of my good nature.
 
Pico has a pretty sleepy schedule.

wake at 6:30, 2 potty trips and breakfast with fish oil
morning nap 7 until we go for a 90 min walk or hike
lunch after walk/hike, then afternoon nap
wake around 3PM for short play session and dinner
late afternoon nap until waking at 6/7 PM for potty and short play session
evening nap until Bedtime.

I really think I just need to get him adjusted to a new schedule.
He has no issue with holding potty for 8-10 hours a day, he just doesn't want to if I'm home (and I don't blame him).
 
Funny, I was just discussing this with my sister - who has a 12mth old Goldie who has already had an obstruction and who destroys everyone's stuff and attacks the cats, and still she doesn't confine her.

Generally mine get free range once they pass the adolescent idiot phase. But generally not crating, I put up barriers. Deska and Tully had pretty much free range after that. I've had to re-contain Kis and Della because Della has Pica (esp being on steroids) and Kis then gets into everything in case Della finds something first. It's hard because I've just knocked out walls (in anticipation to sell) and it's made it very hard to put up barriers.
 
Shelby was about 1-2 years old when she got free range. Came home from work one day and she was waiting for us at the door. She figured out how to open her crate and let herself out. She did not get into anything so we figured it was time. After that she never got into anything. Prior to that she would chew EVERYTHING.
 
Back
Top