Which vaccinations?!?!

We are headed to a new vet this morning. Lacey will get her second to last baby shots.

The last will be in 3 weeks. Then what to do about the rabies shot. My breeder was adamant about putting it off and waiting until she is older 8-9 months. In Ca. They are supposed to have it at 4 months. I'm not sure if he is just being super cautious or what. He is very concerned because she had such a rough start and the he told me about losing a 6 month old fat and happy baby after it got the rabies shot. I'm very confused and not sure what I should do.
 
I don't know what to say Judy. Your breeder knows his stuff. Licensing is important too asap esp. in these days. The fact you have an orchard behind you as you stated (right?) brings another concern. We have everything from squirrels to opossums, to bats, to rabbits, to coyotes, foxes, skunks, mountain lions, bobcats all in MY neighborhood. Oh, and free roaming cats and a few local wandering dogs. Rabies is important.

Maybe your new vet can give you guidance. Perhaps you can arrange to stay at the vet's or maybe nearby for an hour or two just to see if there is a reaction. This is why every time I did shots I went to my Mom's for a couple hours instead of heading back to home an hour from vet care. Just time to watch for any reaction.

My vet also recommended and did a subcutaneous rather than IM rabies. She said it gives far less problems than the IM version. Perhaps that might be safer? You can ask the vet?

Hope this helps.
 
We are headed to a new vet this morning. Lacey will get her second to last baby shots.

The last will be in 3 weeks. Then what to do about the rabies shot. My breeder was adamant about putting it off and waiting until she is older 8-9 months. In Ca. They are supposed to have it at 4 months. I'm not sure if he is just being super cautious or what. He is very concerned because she had such a rough start and the he told me about losing a 6 month old fat and happy baby after it got the rabies shot. I'm very confused and not sure what I should do.

Talk to your vet, ask what he/she thinks. Let them know about the breeder's concerns, and if they would have a problem with letting you wait until Lacey is a bit older to do rabies. I don't know enough about puppies to really say whether I think it's safe or not, but I wouldn't want to risk my dog's health. Especially when it's a bitty thing like Lacey. I think Missy was over 10 lbs when she got her first rabies.
 
I don't know what to say Judy. Your breeder knows his stuff. Licensing is important too asap esp. in these days. The fact you have an orchard behind you as you stated (right?) brings another concern. We have everything from squirrels to opossums, to bats, to rabbits, to coyotes, foxes, skunks, mountain lions, bobcats all in MY neighborhood. Oh, and free roaming cats and a few local wandering dogs. Rabies is important.

Maybe your new vet can give you guidance. Perhaps you can arrange to stay at the vet's or maybe nearby for an hour or two just to see if there is a reaction. This is why every time I did shots I went to my Mom's for a couple hours instead of heading back to home an hour from vet care. Just time to watch for any reaction.

My vet also recommended and did a subcutaneous rather than IM rabies. She said it gives far less problems than the IM version. Perhaps that might be safer? You can ask the vet?



Hope this helps.

I'm about 10 minutes away from the vets office. I would not have a problem staying there for an hour or more just to be sure. I will discuss all of this with him this morning. At any rate I will not have her get the rabies shot at the same time she gets het last puppy shots in 3 weeks.
 
We go for the 3rd shots in 2 weeks. I'm going to insist waiting 2 weeks after for rabies. He insists on the inital lepto, and i do not have to booster if I don't want to. Watching my dogs drink from the creek last night, I think I'll let him give the lepto...
 
We just got back from the new vet and what a difference. I really like him. He is not a super young guy. Very friendly, made Lacey feel good and was very willing to listen to me and answer all of my questions.


My old vet was very anxious to give her a rabies shot at 3 months and told me she had to have it by 4 months. He was giving me miss information. He told me 6 months not 4. I wonder why the old vet insisted on 4 months? It might be a county regulation, but statewide it's 6 months.

Anyways she really has grown. 10 days ago she was 4lbs 8 oz and today she is 5lbs 11 oz. That's over a pound in a short time. We could tell she has been growing, but having her weighed really shows us how big she is now.
 
Cookie got his DHPP shots when he was a puppy and got his last booster of that when he was six months. I titered him after that and he came back as still vaccinated, so no more distemper til that changes. I give him his rabies once every three years as mandated by law in my state, or I'd titer him for that too. I work at a daycare as well, where bordetella is required every six months, but I got my vet to write a note saying Cookie doesn't need it anymore for "health reasons" (the bordetella vaccine is a completely ineffective vaccination that does not prevent any dog from getting kennel cough, it just prevents kennels from getting lawsuits). So the only vaccination he currently receives is the rabies every three years.
 
I read this article as well. I found it really interesting. Sadly, my pup was started off wrong and I had to continue the old method (series of FOUR!).

However, we are going to minimize life long vaccines. I have found several things stating vaccines last 5-7 years.

We did puppy -- we will do a 4 N 1 & rabies at 1 year. We will do 4 N 1 at age 5. We will not do it again. We will do rabies at 4, 7, 10 and then titer for rabies after 10.

I think over the next years this protocol will start taking over as common.

Bordatella -- only if you HAVE to for boarding/grooming/training. Silly really since it is such limited strains that are far less common now than the other unvaccinated for strains.
Lyme & Lepto only in certain areas -- needs based.
Snakebite -- needs based.
 
Back
Top