Why do you feed TOTW?

Thank you so much for that list!! :)

I switched to TOTW for a couple reasons:

1. It's grain free
2. It's affordable
3. They had a formula that was in the mid-20s as far as % protein (Sierra Mountain)
4. They had a formula that did NOT contain chicken and wasn't fish (Sierra Mountain is lamb based)
5. Owned by a company with a good reputation (I switched from California Natural because it was being taken over by Proctor and Gamble)

But, I am thinking of switching off of it for one reason:

1. Lots of pooping!
 
But bigger is not always better! :lol::lol:

and that is true,but honestly speaking,with Earnhardt his poops are smaller than when he was on his original food that we once fed.The shelties poops are to me normal,considering they are'nt big dogs.Mia's definately is not big at all.
 
we feed TOTW-Wetlands because that's what Cran was eating when he came home from the breeders. haven't done much switching though they have had the Sierra formula. as for poops, Callie is the only one who ate anything different living with me- I don't think that there's a significant difference for her.
and the pups- well - that's the poops that they usually have since they haven't had many different foods.
 
When I fed kibble it wasn't the size that bothered me but the quantity! They pooped around four times a day! Now they only go once a day usually and the poop turns to dust in a cpl days. :)

There are a lot of good dog food forums out there and the sample idea was great idea!
 
I feed the TOTW because they have two varieties that are in the mid 20's of protein levels. My dogs are young, but i am just not sold on feeding such a high percentage of protein to dogs all the time. I rotate between variieties.

Our poops are definitely not large. They only go once a day, too. So I am guessing that the frequency is probably related to how each dog's body processes the food.

I also wouldn't have a problem with rotating in another brand of dog food into the rotation, I just haven't taken the time to research which one.

I am a big believer in too much of anything is not good. Not always the popular view when feeding dogs, but I have always followed that.

Now....it doesn't always save them from GI issues, as I am dealing with my first GI issue right now with Dandie. But I am pretty sure it is from eating wildlife poo on our hike last weekend :dead: Not from her food.
 
I'm curious, what negative things did you read about? I'm asking because I think one type/brand of dog food isn't going to work with all dogs.

i.e. I used to use TOTW. One flavor gave my boys bad gas. Ew. Another flavor was good, but lots more poop than usual (Sierra Mtn, but that could be because of the lower protein). Another flavor was just fine and had no issues with it.

So, if the negative things were gas, more stools, etc. Then well, that could apply to any dog food, depending on the dogs reaction. If it was more about the company and the way food is processed, etc. I'd be more wary, but I never really read anything bad about TOTW in that sense.

Lastly, I chose TOTW long ago because they had no recalls, good company, it was cheaper comparable to the other higher protein type foods, and the food was supposedly good too, and lastly, the dogs loved it.
 
My local Feed and Grain store told me that they don't recommend TOTW. They mentioned something about a recall but I haven't seen anything lately about one. This website here is great...it tells you a completely unbiased opinion of practically every dog food out there. I chose not to feed my dogs TOTW because it makes me wonder why the price is so much lower. It kind of worries me a little. Also, it had some "red" ingredients which could be potentially bad for a dog. Read the review/breakdown of ingredients and what they mean here:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/taste-of-the-wild-dog-food-dry/
 
I think you just find a food and stick with it. I still think my pups stools are a little larger than I would like but Now! seems to agree with them and they chow it down.....so much so that they wake me up in the morning at 5:30 a.m. by sitting on my back and licking my neck to feed them.

btw - I don't give in....I make them wait till 6:45 or 7:00 a.m. before I give in.

Now! is grain free like TOTW. I think TOTW might be a little cheaper though, but higher in protein which does not work for Bacca.
 
Back
Top