why this breeder?

It seems the first thing you should do is decide what type of puppy/dog you want. Will it be a working dog? Show dog? Just a pet and nothing else? Do you want them to have a certain type of temperament? Etc.

For myself, my first pup was a pet and nothing else. I got in touch with a handful of breeders (of which I found during a local ASSA meeting) and the one that had puppies during my timeline was who I went with. I lucked out. My breeder tends to breed dogs for pets first. Her dogs temperaments are really great, kinda more on the mellow side, not barkers, etc. (I went to a dog show, and only her dogs were the ones not really barking, I was amazed).

If I wanted an agility dog, would I go back to her? Depends on how serious I want to do agility. If I was very serious, probably not. If I wanted to do it like I am now, more likely to go back and make sure she picks out a puppy for me with drive, etc. I'll be in your place when I want my next puppy since my breeder no longer breeds. I'll probably just ask her who to go to though so I can stay within her line.

Y'know, I never thought about testing and all that. Mostly cuz when I decided on Shelties, they have very few genetic disorders (unlike Goldens who have about a dozen genetic issues). I didn't check the lineage mostly because I knew I found quality breeders. I think if I wanted a serious agility dog, I would look more into line breeding, testing for genetic diseases, etc. Or maybe I just lucked out with my breeder.

Lastly. Koji comes from two champion dogs with great lines full of champions. He was a prospect show dog. My breeder decided she didn't want two puppies and let us have him. He may be beautiful, but boy was he a PITA! I did my research after the fact. I found out Miko comes from Barwood/Macdega lines and is what I call anti-Sheltie (so not Sheltie like).

Good luck. Do lots of research. You can find so much online nowdays. Especially with the pedigree website.

(okay, now I want another puppy. I need to stay out of these types of threads)
 
I agree that you need to decide why you are buying a puppy. If it is to be a pet (I would never say "just a pet" as to my way of thinking that is the main purpose of a dog) your needs are different than those of someone looking for a show dog. I would ask the breeder what her main consideration is when considering breeding. Mine said temperament first, then conformation. Health, of course, always being an issue. That went a long way in selling me on this breeder. I was much more concerned with temperament than whether the dog has a perfectly set tail or a slight overbite. She does breed for show, but to my way of thinking has her priorities straight. Others may disagree.

I am much less concerned with the number of champions in a pedigree than I am with the specific pup. Good lines can produce bad dogs. I am concerned with genetic issues though. I would also consider a breeder who provides a health guarantee a plus. I know that health cannot really be guaranteed, but a breeder who offers one has confidence in the genetics of her lines.

The breeder should be willing to answer any questions asked of her, including the annoying "why is the guy down the road selling his sheltie puppies for half of what you are asking for yours?" If she can't explain this one, I would worry. Does the breeder ask questions of you? Does she seem more concerned with selling the pup than in getting it the right home? If so, I would keep looking.

The breeder from whom I got Ainsley still keeps in touch. She emails occasionally and has forwarded articles that she has found that relate to dog health issues or other things of sheltie interest. I email her quarterly updates on how Ainsley is doing. She still wants to know how the pup that she bred is doing. I would be leary of someone who doesn't want to hear from you about the pup after you walk out the door.

Will the breeder provide references from others who have bought pups from her, particularly those used for your pups expected purpose? You can also ask friends and acquaintances with shelties where they got their dogs and if they would recommend their breeder.

I did most of this, but then I tend to be overly careful in a lot of things that I do, but I thought some of the tips might help you.

Good luck in finding your new pup!
 
Maybe somebody who can teach you something about the breed as well? This includes grooming the right way, maybe helping you train, setting you on the right track for an activity with your dog, ect. Also somebody who doesn't get mad when you ask questions about their dogs as well, and somebody who does not mind having a sensible debate on you with something.

I also wanna be friends with somebody and flood their facebook page with pictures of my dogs, even if I'm not going to be in the market for another dog for a very, very, very long time. :biggrin2:

It's not just about a sale. It should be about somebody helping you learn something as well.

Great points!! When we were looking for our first dog we knew pretty much nothing about shelties. We went to visit Domino's breeder and we liked her immediately. She spent time on our first visit showing us how to groom the dogs, she had a little booklet describing how much to feed, what she feeds, how to feel the dog to gauge his/her weight. It was also very obvious just from visiting that she loves all her dogs and has litters purely to better the breed - she even mentioned that she doesn't make any money from breeding but may keep some of the puppies if they look promising for show. All of her adult dogs seemed well adjusted and unafraid of visitors (us!!) to the house. Another thing that impressed me was that she offerred to look after Domino for us any time we needed her to...for no cost, just a bag of food for him for the days he would be there.
I think alot of people have said it best....just look at how you're feeling when you visit..more about the breeder and how she/he is interacting with you and the dogs than the puppies themselves because noone can refuse a pup!
 
When my DH suggested I get a Sheltie, I wanted to move quickly in case he changed his mind. :lol: So I hit the internet looking for sheltie breeders near me. When I found the Norwood site (she was in PA then), I was impressed by the professionalism and quality I perceived. Best of all, and unlike most places, Ala put "Phone calls preferred." So I call, she answered, we talked, and she invited me to visit the kennel. When I arrived, I was impressed by the kennel, the cleanliness, the friendliness of the Shelties, and how knowledgable Ala was. I also have to admit that the fact that she had already selected Layla for me -- no "which one do you like?" told me that this lady knew what she was doing. I have to admit, seeing the trophies, including the cup of Best of Breed at Westminster and the Third in Herding Group ribbon didn't put me off either. :lol:

In short, I lucked out incredibly by finding Alexandra Luhrs and Norwood! :yes:
 
thank you for sharing your experiences, what I feel is after you find a good breeder that does all proper things it is just matter of luck, personal connections and timing.
Regarding what kind of dog I want - it is agility lap dog if such thing possible. I want pretty much exactly what I have in Che but smaller package and more lappy...
 
Back
Top