Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Why will Monty only drink milk

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Darren, Nov 10, 2019.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    That little stinker... turning over the water bowl!
    Smart little fella.

Hope this puzzle is solved soon!

Sharon7, Darren, Wendy C and 3 others like this.
  2. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2019
  3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: good boy Monty:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    If he can taste / or smell that you add a little water to the milk,
    then it must be the water he does not like.

Darren, Wendy C, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    If he's on a kibble have you tried soaking it in water first (at least he'll get some water that way)? I agree about trying bottled water, perhaps to him your water has a funny taste. Perhaps his previous home had a different tasting water.

Darren, Wendy C and ghggp like this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    You seem to have a "special snowflake" in your family! :lol: I would always ask the vet -- perhaps there is some condition that is at work here.

Sharon7, Darren, Wendy C and 2 others like this.
  6. Darren

Darren Forums Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2019
    Finally a break through! So last night I cleaned out his bowls and filled them with bottled water. After about an hour he had his first ever small drink of water. It may not have been much but it's something which he had not done in my home, ever haha.
    This morning he will not drink again and is crying for his milk but I think that just may be a routine for him now. For now I'm going to give him a little milk in the morning and some bottled water on the afternoon and see how it goes. Thank you all so much for the help, it looks like i'm getting there.

As suggested I'm also trying to find out a little about his past as there's so much I need to know, the water/milk problem, not eating hard food, petfrified of feet, why he's so tiny, there's so many things haha.

Thank you all again, He may not be drinking as he should yet but we're finally on the right path I think. I can't believe it was something as simple as not liking my water, which makes me think what are they putting in it.

DianeP, TheDailyPainter, Ann and 3 others like this.
  7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    One other thought that is going to sound strange. Are his bowls metal? If so he might be seeing his reflection in the water but not the milk. You might test this with cereal bowl once. I had one that refused to drink out of reflective bowls.

Oh and Monty sounds cooler all the time. A terror and smart. Maybe he needs to be a flyball dog, what does he think of other dogs?

8. Darren

Darren Forums Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2019
    Well Monty is back on the milk haha, one lick of water was all he had and that's it. I'm starting to wonder who is training who. Just to be safe we've been to the vets today for blood tests so I've got to wait now and see if it's medical or if he is just, as Chris put it, a special snowflake :lol:

He has a few bowls around the house but 3 are metal and only one is ceramic. I'll try anything at the minute so thank you for the idea, I'll try him without using his metal bowls for the next couple days.

Well this is another area he is giving me a headache :lol:. When he first arrived he was scared of all dogs and wouldn't go near them. Now how-ever, any dog around his size or smaller he walks up to and starts chest bumping them backwards until I move him away. He isn't aggressive (barking or growling) it's more like...erm...bullying haha. He knows his limits though as he is still scared of bigger dogs.
    I'd love him to do something like flyball as he is a massive bundle of energy, which if he doesn't burn off he gets into trouble. I'm certainly going to look into it, he's probably too small to win any races but it's the taking part that counts :ROFLMAO:

Sharon7, Calliesmom and Sandy in CT like this.
  9. pomshe

pomshe Forums Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    He sure is cute as dickens!!! You can see the mischievous look in his eyes!

Sandy in CT likes this.
  10. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Nope small is gold! The smallest dog on the team sets the bar height for the entire team. For example (might be outdated rules) if he is a frog hair under 12" that would round down then subtract 5 for a 6" jump height which I think is minimum. Of course the 16" Border Collies get his height which is easier on them and faster in most cases. Spitfire is a head case but the team was REALLY looking forward to him as a height dog though it did not work (he is super OCD and the chaos and change was to much for him).

Good luck on his milk.

Sharon7 and Calliesmom like this.