Will Pippa get a bit fat when she's speyed?

Eve and Pippa

Forums Regular
Hello,
Pippa will be one year old in 8 days and is due to be speyed in September, so she will have had her first "thingies" by then.
But I'm a bit worried because people say she will get fat after!
And I don't know whether to believe this or not!
Will she just need more exercising?
Also, the vets said she might be in there for 3 nights.
Is that normal?
My friend's Westie was speyed last year, and he was in the vets for 1 night. But he's a male dog and a different breed.
I don't want to leave my Pippa!!!!! :(

From,
Eve
and
Pip!
 
Emma was spayed before her first heat at around 7 months. She has gained weight, mainly my fault for not exercising her enough. She came home the same night.

Natalie was spayed at around 10 months, after her first heat. She too came home the same night, even though she had a diagnosis of open pyometra complicating the surgery to a degree.

I would say that if you monitor the food given (and include everything she is given in a day in the caloric count) and make sure she gets enough exercise, she should be fine.
 
Three days? No, overnight at the most. I always get my dogs back after surgery, like that day.

Messing with hormones is risky, but certainly you can manage with food.
 
My dogs don't even stay overnight but not because the vet doesn't want to, more because I can monitor them better here. Once, when I had a bitch in to a new vet and they were insisting she stay I asked them if they would keep a dog in that had a C Section. Of course not, says the vet, she would have puppies to care for and no one is here all night. Exactly my point ,says I, no one is here and I would rather have my girl home where I can watch her ALL night. They let me sign the waiver.
 
Why wouldn't you want to spay her?

The poster is from Scotland. This is why I am curious. Most euro countries are not keen on spaying and neutering, it costs several thousands $$ to do the procedure and hard to find a vet. England is probably closest country that is picking up more and more on spaying/ neutering but it is not common everywhere else. I wonder what policies are there.
 
Back
Top