Woe!!!

Ditto to silvertrails DVD and the Illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming. And I think it was GeeRome who had a guide on trimming perfect little Sheltie feet!

The book is great, but is illustrations only, not photos. The DVD just rounds it out nicely with actual footage.

The key is to stay on top of it. I normally try to groom at least weekly, and I alternate from week to week, focus areas. One week will be feet and nails, next week will be ears. Every week is line brushing with particular focus on the pants.

Between baths I use a "dry shampoo" and leave in conditioner - Show Off and Ice on Ice by Chris Christensen. Both great products.

I would not use a razor on the pants. I use to use the Furminator, but now only bring it out when Indy's pants get abnormally thick. A good line brushing is much more effective, I find.

I actually enjoy grooming my pups. It usually requires me to psych myself up to pull out all the gear, but once I'm there, I find it relaxing.
 
I only saw where you can buy the cd and the online access. Where did you find the DVD? :confused2:

Sorry, Jessica, it was a CD that I got. My plan was to have my techie son transfer it to a DVD so I could use it in the TV....(old age and senior moment creeping in, sorry! :uhoh: )
 
Ooops, she's right it is a CD.

But it does not expire. So you go online which is the link you get as soon as you sign up or wait for the CD to arrive in the mail.

A well spent $20, regardless.
 
My great-aunt bred Shelties and she taught me how to groom mine. It's not too hard at all once you get the hang of it. Get a good pin brush and brush in a line down the dog's body, starting parallel to the back and going to the belly.

There was a Sheltie book at our library that gave a good description of how to line brush, which is the basic thing you need to know. Here's the book. Although if you want a complete reference you may want to try one of the books already recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1582450706/azthedogbreedalp

The thing to remember when you're first doing it is to do it little by little. I've been brushing Buffy out or doing some grooming-related thing most nights when I'm watching TV. Only takes about 5 min, and I think she is getting more comfortable with the concept. She's always less active late at night so she's not as squirmy. It takes some time for the doggies to get used to people grooming them, so start slow and gentle. Most dogs do not like having the hair under their tail brushed, so save that for last and do it a little at a time. Your dog will get it eventually.

Another trick I've read is to put peanut butter on your fridge at doggie eye level and get them to lick at it. Sometimes my husband helps me if we are doing something like cutting nails.

Good luck!
 
I use thinning scissors to thin out the pants and for trimming. Also invest in some good quality dog shampoo - it is worth paying the extra (tends to last longer anyway) as the cheaper stuff may strip out the natural oils.

Deska went through a stage at 10-12mths where his fur just frizzed right up. I was told by breeders it was common at this age for the coat to be poorer quality, and it has gotten better with age, even though his coat is thicker.

This is a 10mth old Deska - all frizz
 

Attachments

  • Lion puppy2.jpg
    Lion puppy2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 30
This is a 10mth old Deska - all frizz

Fuzzy is cute. :yes: It's a pain to brush though! Didn't you at one time say that you use some kind of Plush Puppy oil/spray on Deska and Tully? I really gotta get some of that! :uhoh: I want to try the Plush Puppy Odor Muncher, too!
 
Fuzzy is cute. :yes: It's a pain to brush though! Didn't you at one time say that you use some kind of Plush Puppy oil/spray on Deska and Tully? I really gotta get some of that! :uhoh: I want to try the Plush Puppy Odor Muncher, too!

Yes, that's when a discovered Plush Puppy coat rescue and the seabreeze oil - worked miracles. Thats what I mean about getting the good quality stuff, it can really turn a damaged coat around.
 
My last shelt hated being goomed with anything metal. She would tolerate a plastic comb sold for use on horse tails) and LOVED being vacuumed.:lol:
 
By golly I am going to order that CD. A breeder had a grooming class, but it was a bit further then I wanted to travel at the time. My favorite tool for this time of year is my rake. I take the two out, rake them, let the fur fly and hopefully a critter finds it for bedding during the winter. Yes I do all that line stuff, and use a pin brush, but I get the most out this time of year with my rake.

Don't feel bad a lady just took her sheltie into Petsmart I heard, and she must of made a mess of the poor little one, the groomer almost fainted.

I trim the wild hairs that grower longer then the others, make a poop chute, cut the hair from their pads, etc.. Lucky tolerates the grooming, Lady runs to my bedroom, and I have to carry the DIVA.
 
Sounds about right. If you can stay on top of this, pups will be mostly groomed all the time.

I'm a little angry because the groomer got aggressive on Bacca's trimming two weeks ago. He was just starting to grow in his feathers, and then she went and trimmed them all off....not just the ragged bits.

I'll know to give better instructions when they got for their baths next time. Bath, poop chute and feet only. I'll handle the rest.
 
Back
Top