Would Another Sheltie Help?

Wow! I'm thrilled to hear the progress. When you take classes from Petsmart they allow you to come back and sit in at a later date after you've completed the course if you feel your dog needs a refresher class (at least they do that here). I did that to help socialize Shadow a little more. The one thing I regret was not taking him more places with me when he was a puppy, I waited until he was a year old, younger would have been better.
 
I love to hear Monet updates, make sure you remember these days!
Somewhere down the road you end up forgetting how shy he was in the beginning... I forget what Toffee was like and see him now, flying around the course or greeting people he likes, trying to get them to pet him, or initiating play with another dog... all things I thought impossible!

Also
BEWARE .. once you do Agility (and you can start a lot of the training before they are two, without obstacles!!) you may become an addict regardless of what job you get :winkgrin:
 
not for me to deter you from getting another Sheltie, my 2 boys are 10 month apart in age. Glad to hear that you are seeing improvement, it is so rewarding when things start "clicking"...
But I do think you need to get another Sheltie for right reasons because while my two are confident and superconfident there are other habits they will pick up from each other. For example Che never used to bark in the car... well Leo is teaching him that:(:eek2: and while it is easy to control 13lbs Leo it is not so much for 40lbs Che...
 
Thanks guys!

So, I'm curious - I've heard this several times, but what is "getting another sheltie for the right reasons"? I would love to know the reasons, so I make sure I am not getting one for the wrong reason. :) As I type this, I realize it's hard to read tone while online, so please realize I do not mean it in a sarcastic way at all, I really would like to know.

Haha, toffee's mom, thanks so much! I definitely know how addicting agility is, I miss it greatly. It was Baxter's favorite thing to do, he lived for the agility course. He loved obedience too, but there was nothing that could get him as excited as seeing those obstacles in front of him. I would love some things to practice without stressing his joints :) So I should wait until two to really start working on obstacles such as jumps? Baxter and I got a start at about three years old, so I never really gave it any thought.

We are getting ready to go hiking and enjoy some of this warmer weather with a friend and her dog, then we have puppy class tonight. He's going to be a tired boy!

The petsmart here will let you retake a class if you don't feel satisfied with it, and the instructor is super nice, so I think that she definitely would. I am going straight into the intermediate obedience class after we finish beginner, just so he keeps getting this positive interaction. I was so used to going to 4-H every week when I was in it, it got to the point that everyone in the class was advanced, so we just kept working onward and upward. I miss that so much. I think I'll keep going through the advanced classes, just so he keeps getting this socialization.

It's so much fun having a dog again. :)
 
Hello again

I think all Sheltie's start their life with a certain cautioness and reservation. They are born and bred to protect their herd, and outsiders are something to be wary of.

I remember the first time I tried to walk Bacca (and my forever pup, Timber). I thought I was going to have to drag them the whole way. Many of them have funny little phobias, some will go away with enough diligence. Others will stay for a lifetime. Timber was mirrors. Indy is hair dryers. Bacca goes nuts when I water the plant (yes, singular....I've given up on plants, mostly because the boy just won't tolerate them being watered). Silly pups!

But gradual introduction and socialization are key to over the Sheltie caution.

Puppy school was the next big step. In my area, I had to wait for him to be 6 months, but that was the next big milestone. Puppy school teaches dogs and people how to greet each other and show good manners. It also teaches techniques for dealing with the "fly or fight" mentality that exists in insecure dogs. You take those learnings and then build on them. It also tests the boundaries, in a safe environment, of what your pup is comfortable with, and therefore what you need to work on.

Regular car rides and taking the pups out of their zone regularly also helps. We have a summer cottage so very early on Bacca was introduced to regular outings. Since our cottage is on an island, this required a car ride, followed by unloading the car onto a boat then taking the boat across. Lots of people and other dogs on the boat dock wanting to say hello....best of all, young kids.

Indy was a little different. He was born at the breeders and stayed at the breeders until I brought him home at 10 months. He was therefore well socialized with other dogs, but a little less so with humans. He is still a little skittish around young kids, but again, the weekly dock experience has made him better.

Mostly they will always follow me now to the dock where they may be greeted by kids, adults or other dogs. It's been a gradual process, but they also have learned that the big reward is at the other end. Yippee! The cottage! Free running and lots of animal poop to investigate.

All to say. Shelties are a unique breed. They have tremendous wonderful qualities, but they, like all dogs have their foibles (in terriers, it would be digging, for example). Some, a little more than others. But I do think that with patience and understanding, you can mostly overcome them.

Understand the breed, understand what motivates your particular dog. Reward accordingly, and eventually you'll beat it.

Sorry...a little long winded. Hope this helps.
 
Thanks, that definitely does help! Seeing how he has improved makes me really think that even though he's also 10 months old and sounds like he's a lot like Indy. He was at the breeders until I got him a month ago, and she had a very quiet household. He's great with other dogs, but it's taken a lot to get him to stop being so fearful around people.
 
Thanks, that definitely does help! Seeing how he has improved makes me really think that even though he's also 10 months old and sounds like he's a lot like Indy. He was at the breeders until I got him a month ago, and she had a very quiet household. He's great with other dogs, but it's taken a lot to get him to stop being so fearful around people.


My Emma will be 2 yrs old April 9th, she is still a shy gal around people she does not know. But once she gets to know them she will be right next to them. Although Emma seems to be more shy with men?? I have had her 2 yrs this June and she still runs from my son in law?? She will not get near him.

I am also in Kentucky (not sure where you are in KY) but I checked into the classes at Pet smart....wondering if they did a good job with the precious cargo's? I was at Pet smart a few days ago and watching as 2 dogs were in the training area and a bit surprised as I watched. The trainer is great I am sure, and maybe it is part of the training (???) but 2 dogs in there playing with a ball together...but one dog was more aggressive than the other and would "go after the other one aggressively"....of course the "other" dog would coward down and drop the ball giving it up when the bully said so. The trainer just ignored that behavior...which confused me a bit. I watched for about 10 minutes and then left.

I wanted to watch them to get an idea of what the trainer does while training. I plan to go to a different Pet Smart tomorrow and check it out.

I am also thinking about a 2nd Sheltie (rescue).

If we are close in location; perhaps we can do a play date for the Shelties. PM me if you would like.
 
maybe it is part of the training (???) but 2 dogs in there playing with a ball together...but one dog was more aggressive than the other and would "go after the other one aggressively"....of course the "other" dog would coward down and drop the ball giving it up when the bully said so. The trainer just ignored that behavior...which confused me a bit. I watched for about 10 minutes and then left
.
I think what you've seen is normal part of doggie behavior, instructor would have had to interfere if one dog was NOT giving up the toy and they were squabbling over it. I do not believe there is anything aggressive about one dog always getting the ball and second defer to to first, it is normal as it should be. Dog world establish real fast who is going to be leader of present pack and it is fine. My very brazen and bossy puppy Leo always defer chasing toys to Che, who is oldest, even if they run together after it... I am in the process of teaching them command "toy for Leo, toy for Che"
If that what was the only upsetting thing you witnessed at the class I would not worry about it...
 
So, I'm curious - I've heard this several times, but what is "getting another sheltie for the right reasons"? I would love to know the reasons, so I make sure I am not getting one for the wrong reason. :) As I type this, I realize it's hard to read tone while online, so please realize I do not mean it in a sarcastic way at all, I really would like to know.

Great question!

I got another Sheltie because I have two girls that are interested in dog training. Two of the Shelties were attached to my older daughter, so I got another one for my younger daughter. The older two are more family dogs, Dandie is hopelessly devoted to my younger daughter. Everyday when my daughter comes home from school, I sing the song, "reunited and it feels so good. reunited and it's understood." :lol: They literally dive into each others arms and do not separate until the next morning :rolleyes2:
 
to me right reasons for wanting another dog is that you, the human want another dog for yourself.... not because your dog needs companion, not because second dog might help fixing problems with first one etc... why do you want second dog is really very individual choice same as having dog in a first place...
everyone was telling me to wait until Che about 3 years old to get a new pup but I could only last till Che was one:yes: while it is MUCH more challenging to extensively train 2 pups at once, I am happy and my boys love each other...
 
Back
Top