Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Would like to adopt female spayed sheltie

Discussion in 'Adopt a Sheltie' started by Selena Wohlslagel, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Selena Wohlslagel

Selena Wohlslagel Forums Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2021
    Thank you I will try that!

Piper's mom and KarenCurtis like this.
  2. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I can't speak to FL rescue but most rescues in this area Sheltie and non are pretty strict about the fenced in area issue. It gets lots of people upset but you have to do have to hunt around to find a group that will work with you if you don't have that as an option. Even before the pandemic Shelties in rescue are highly prized. Since the pandemic even mixed breed shelters in this area are reporting their supplies are lower than normal as people are adopting all types of dogs.

Our first two Shelties were rescues but that route has become much more competitive in this area. Our last girl who we got 4 years ago came from a breeder when she was 2. She "washed out" of being a show dog. She lacks the focus for it. As far as expense I will say 4 years ago there was a range of costs depending on the breeder and what they were willing to do to make sure the dog went to a good home. None was in the range of what most people think of when you are looking for a pure bred puppy. Most of the breeders wanted a quality home for a dog they could no longer show or breed. Annie's breeder was amazing and frankly the cost was only slightly more than we'd have paid to a rescue. What shocked me most was she paid for the spaying as that cost is expensive and most breeders wanted a signed contract stating we would spay and we would pay. That is something to consider if you are adopting a girl and you go the breeder route. While we found a range of prices and ages for breeders looking to place dogs, we only found one that insisted she wanted to see her girl through the surgery and healing before she was placed. That impressed me greatly about her dedication to her animals to be honest.

Our oldest is 13 and our youngest is 6 and I'm realizing I'm going to need to start looking for contacts again as our younger girl, like what happened to our oldest when our first rescue passed, will not do well on her own. I'm hoping when the pandemic passes it will be easier to establish some contacts. There is a local Collie rescue in the area that works with both Collie and Sheltie rescues in other states and we've talked with them in the past about working with them to find out next dog. Perhaps that will be a possibility when they can have more freedom of movement as well.

3. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    Thank you! I am so glad you found a good breeder who was willing to go the extra for a good home for her sheltie!

Piper's mom, KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.
  4. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    When you say they didn't respond did you put in an application or did you just try to contact them? I know from my previous experience locally they only would contact me once I applied.

5. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    Yes I did try to reach them
    No answer

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    Sheltie clubs.where are they???? Smile.how do I find them?

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
  8. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
  9. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    In Maryland and I have NO clue about the Breeder - I only saw this on a sheltie group I follow....

Available end of May - Sable Female (21 months in 2 weeks)
    AKC Registered on Pet/Non-Breeding/Spay Contract. Located 45 min northwest of D.C. in MD.
    She is tested (CEA, PRA, MDR1, vWD, DM, DMS) + Hips X-Rays done, bark-softened (some people can be angry all they want, but I'm not hiding anything! It's done!). Will be vet checked + blood/urine tests done before leaving.
    She is active, not shy, but will need some time to get used to you. With seasonal + after heat shedding, she is not as fluffy...but starting to grow coat and will eventually get there!
    e-mail preferred: [email protected] or send me a FB message.
    www.fairbrookshelties.com
    https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/185035958_10159710789441807_9127135401798210572_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=aCqyOxWSY3gAX9iVUyn&tn=1gLBzGo5YGkSDaAJ&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.xx&oh=5bd37e36bf56f88e1a6b2427a1ae6175&oe=60C1A56A

10. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    I am in SW Florida and I am very interested in her.we have a neutered male sheltie. Age ,2 1/2. He really needs a friend to be with him
    Sheltie need each other

Piper's mom and KarenCurtis like this.