Would you compete if you couldnt win?

This is a good question. Obviously, the answer for you, lies within yourself.

But for me, let me put it this way. I run NADAC. We have two levels, Proficient and Skilled. My first time out, I put Koji in Skilled (jumps one height lower, so it was 12"). He ruled that category, even with it being his first time out. We got almost all 1st.

Then, I moved him to Proficient, his real jumping height (16"). Let's just say this...if my friend's dog screws up, Koji has a chance at winning 1st. Otherwise, I'll forever be behind her dog, or later. After this weekend (15 runs, 4 Q's, mostly 2nd places), I'm thinking maybe I'll just collect the Q's and placement ribbons on MERIT, not cuz he was placed 2nd out of 2 dogs, or what not. It's depressing. For me, a Q is more important than placement.

So, if Koji couldn't make time...I'd probably put him back to Skilled, where I'd get the 12" dogs times. Is that something you can do in your venue? If not, have you thought about trying other venues? Or seeing if there's something you can do about speeding him up (Koji used to be slow, but is picking up speed the more we trial)? If none of the above is doable, then I'd probably keep Koji in novice Skilled, and just run to have fun. I'm sure after awhile, I wouldn't care about the Q's and ribbons. I'd also make sure it was something he really enjoyed. If it was, I'd use training, classes, and maybe trial once every so often, to keep him happy.

Hugs to you. Trust me, I understand how it can be so frustrating. Right now, Koji is on the slower side, I rarely get 1sts, and Q's are rare. And having to trial with my friend, who gets 1st, and Q's in almost all her runs, sigh. Hard to swallow at times.
 
I don't show agility (yet, I hope to with Luke in the future), but I would definitely show agility & obedience even if I knew I wasn't going to win.

Conformation is a different story, though, and losing every time is what made me stop showing.
 
I guess I'm going to differ here in opinion. While I'm sure I would still compete, I probably wouldn't have as much fun not being able to have a competitive dog. That said, I am a very competitive person. I'm the type of person who keeps track of my runs, with yards, course time, run time, yards per second, and placements. I also try to get runs taped and learn where I can tighten up. I'll be honest, I LIKE to take top placements, better yet wins... and I have dogs that are fast enough to do that.

I won't say I don't have a competitive side, I do. I LIKE seeing the blue and red ribbons along side my Q ribbons. Go back and look at my thread "A bad day at agility is better than good day at work" and you can see my frustration in writing.

However, if I had to choose between Placing with a Q or just the Q - I'll take the Q and be happy about it because, in the venues I run in its the Q's that count, not the placement.

Its when I start to let that competitive side take over that I have to really stop and remind myself that this is supposed to be fun for Edan and I. Its not supposed to stress me out; work does very well and I DO NOT want agility to add to my stress.

I'm getting better at putting myself in that mindset but I'm not perfect.

I am also incredibly competitive, and can get discouraged or feel disappointed after a bad run. However, I feel most frustrated when Bentley or I mess up something that I know we can do. I've gotten out on a course before and said "No way, this is just too hard for us" and I really don't get too frustrated. But, when one of us makes a mistake on a course that we COULD have succeeded on, I'm frustrated.

I have been on courses we should have EASILY Q'ed on and ended up with an NQ because Edan (yes, I mean Edan and not me) decided he didn't like an obstacle on a given day. It's frustrating and upsetting. I've almost pulled him from trials because of it.

Like I said above, I don't want agility to become a stressor for me; I get enough of that every day at work. If that happens, its going to be time to stop.

Ultimately its going to boil down to what is most important to the individual - Wins and Q's or playing a game and having fun with your furry friend.
 
We haven't trialed, yet, and I'm hoping that we'll be ready by late summer.

I like winning but I've never been very athletic and I'm not especially competitive by nature. My blessing and curse is that I train at a club that is extremely competitive -- lots of 20" Border Collies that regularly run standard courses in about 25 seconds or less.

It's a blessing because my instructor insists that we run courses with very tight lines (difficult with lots of speed) and that our contacts are rock solid. A curse because 'OK' isn't good enough and it can be hard for me to keep up my confidence when there's always something to fix.

I know in the end it will all pay off in Qs and less running for this old woman, so I'm making it my job to keep it fun for me and Phebe. I hope that I can keep this frame of mind and concentrate on Qs and fun more than placements.

Check back with me about this next winter. :wink2:
 
I don't know AKC's rules well enough to know if they adjust SCT (Standard Course Time) for the smaller dogs.

I personally would be cranky about having to compete against unrealistic times.

AKC wheels for 4/8/12, 16, and big dogs. Those three divisions have separate SCT's. So small dogs are competing against small dogs, not against big long-legged fast dogs. There is a yards per second calculation in there somehow too, which differs for each height class.

I am not competitive at all in agility, I just want my Q's. I have no delusion that my dog will win the 16 inch class, since she has never been to a formal agility class. I can only expect so much. And the depth of competition in the Mid-Atlantic is staggering.
 
I am not competitive at all in agility, I just want my Q's. I have no delusion that my dog will win the 16 inch class, since she has never been to a formal agility class. I can only expect so much. And the depth of competition in the Mid-Atlantic is staggering.

Oh I completely agree with this. I could care less if Bentley comes in first, or twenty-first if he Qs. When I say that I'm competitive, it's mostly against myself--not others. I am disappointed when we don't Q when I know we should. As far as placing, I know that Bentley is very rarely the fastest dog. And, on top of that, he is sometimes the only dog in a class (or one of two or three) and I won't get our placement ribbon unless it means something.
 
I am not competitive at all in agility, I just want my Q's. I have no delusion that my dog will win the 16 inch class, since she has never been to a formal agility class. I can only expect so much. And the depth of competition in the Mid-Atlantic is staggering.

Ditto!

Once I get out of Novice, it'll be amazing if I get placements in Open. In my Novice A 16" class there were only 4 or 5 dogs. In JWW only 2 of the 5 dogs Q'd, hence my 2nd place. In my Standard only 1 of the 4 dogs Q'd. Gee, I wonder which dog that was. :razz: :winkgrin:

I don't look for placements any more, even if they are nice to get. If I'm going to get a ribbon for playing with my dog, give me the Q.

Edan doesn't know or care if we Q, Place or not. All he knows and cares about is playing with Mom.
 
Now, ask me how competitive I will be when little Savvy (a puppy from my first litter) is out running. :smile2: She is fast as greased lightening, and has a handler who knows what she is doing. I can't wait! :biggrin2:
 
So did you enter the Pittsburgh Sheltie agility trial? I was supposed to be there with my mother (who is the secretary) but will probably have babies. It's a wonderful show site.
 
So did you enter the Pittsburgh Sheltie agility trial? I was supposed to be there with my mother (who is the secretary) but will probably have babies. It's a wonderful show site.

Your mom is the trial secretary for that show!? Small world!

Yes, I'm registered for it but only for Sunday. I have plans for the Saturday that couldn't be changed.

If you don't have babies by then, will you still join your mom on the trip? If so, I'd LOVE to meet you!

I do love the show site, great floor, lots of parking... and best of all - 10 minutes from my house! :biggrin2: Our CPE trial is there this weekend.
 
Back
Top